Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another box for the welding supply company guys

This one's larger, and it's got wheels.

I've got to install another hinge in the center, and then I'll add the expanded metal on the top. I've also still got to make the handles.

I had the lower part of the box completed when they realized they'd given me the wrong sketch, so I had to cut 10" off the top (was 36" deep, now 26" deep). Fortunately, I was able to salvage the flat bar, and the rework is hardly noticeable.
    Last edited by winchman; 11-23-2013, 10:06 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Kind of funny that a welding supply place contracts out their welding...

Nice work. I always enjoy seeing examples of the work the folks here do. I like that even the most utilitarian builds can still show such a distinct level of fine craftsmanship. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Really "nit picky" but what has their and your experience been with the expanded mesh, in terms of getting clothing caught on those "end of diamonds" not welded down?

This cart is exactly what would be needed for me/us in many cases for sports equipment but that is a lot of traffic going in and out and reaching down into and those ends are a bit of concern, based on past history.

Comment

Made a similar size set up for pressure testing cylinders (extinguishers, SCUBA etc) and had a similar issue with the ends ..... quick fix ..... weld all of them, takes only a few minutes and all is well

Comment

WHAT.... you didn't make the hinges too????

Comment

Just curious why you chose those hinges? Seems like a butt or 1/2 surface hinge would look better? Nice job on the cage!

Comment

I thought about making the hinges, but the instructor said to go with what they gave us.

We use a 'smooth pattern' expanded metal. I grind the edges after cutting it with the plasma cutter, and then hit it with a rotary wire brush after it's welded down. I'm really careful not to leave any snags.

I guess they bring the jobs to us (me) because we (I) do them for free if they provide the materials. They did give me a free pair of gloves a while back, though.
              Last edited by winchman; 11-23-2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Looks very nice, but why not cut off the excess length of tongue on the hinges that's not serving any purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                  Kind of funny that a welding supply place contracts out their welding...
                  Why, medical supply places dont operate on people, why would a weld supplier build something?

Comment

I was thinking about bending the hinge tabs down and welding them to the expanded metal, but it's probably not worth the trouble.

Comment

Nice job, always enjoy seeing pics of your'e projects.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
                        Why, medical supply places dont operate on people, why would a weld supplier build something?
                        OK, fair enough!
                        But the welding supply place I always went to around here had a pretty nice welding area and of course, some nice welding machines. I suppose it was intended to allow customers to try stuff out, they often seemed to have some sort of project going there.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                          Just curious why you chose those hinges? Seems like a butt or 1/2 surface hinge would look better? Nice job on the cage!
                          They wanted to be able to get to the stuff from both sides of the box, so they wanted the lid to go over flush with the back of the box when it's open. However, they didn't want the hinges to stick out any on the back. The strap hinges were the only ones they could find that would do that. When the box is closed, they'll strap it to the cage on the back of their big truck.

I wish there was some way to keep the lid from closing all the way without releasing some sort of stop or latch to make sure both hands are clear.

Comment

Working...
                          X