Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you identify this object?

Good Morning Fellows,

Some time ago I was given a large box of mill cutters, drills, lathe bits, reamers, shell cutters, on and on. This guy was a Tool & Die maker and the company for which he work closed their US plants moved their entire operations to Mexico. He lost his job. He was the main man over CNC operations and had won many awards for innovations. He was the father of my surgical assistant. Nevertheless, I was going through this box of goodies when I came across the object pictured below. It has a smooth pointed tip, (about a 60 or 70 degree angle) and it looks like a mineral that has been brazed into the metal carrier. The color of this “mineral??” is blue-black but when held just right in strong light if gives off a very faint hint or maroon. If this is a stone, what I may be seeing is refraction.

Printed on the side of the metal is *SCALE “C”*. It’s a small object, the largest diameter being .375, the shank .250 and OAL is 1.0”. It was apparently used in some sort of mechanized equipment. If I had to guess, I might advance the notion of it being an industrial diamond or cubic boron nitride stylus but I have no idea its intended function.

Do you know what this is and for what it was used?

Harold

Oblique View

Side View

Top View
    For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
    Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

Hardness testing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale
    Paul Compton
    www.morini-mania.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

I would say that just about does it. Looks like a perfect match. What mineral adorns the tip?

Harold
      For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
      Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

Comment

Yep, and "Scale C" refers to Rockwell C.

Benta.

Comment

It also looks like one type of grinding wheel dresser with a diamond tip - I have several that sure look just like that.
          If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Using a diamond penatrator as a grinding wheel dresser
            is a kin to using a Rolls Royce in a demolition derby.

--Doozer
            DZER

Comment

It IS exactly similar to a dresser, but the words on the side give it away.

That said, the look of the point suggests it is now a "beater", and may as well be used to dress wheels. It appears to have a fracture with part of the point gone.

But the pics are not clear, and that may not be the case. I'm going by the reflections... It appears neither to be conical, nor rounded in an even manner.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Yup - that was my guess before even reading anything as it just makes sense, just looks to low of an angle for a dresser.

also - Im sure the whole thing is pretty hard for complete testing but there appears to be three stages and that makes sense,

the first is for the really tough stuff. if it gets past that then the material being tested is at least not harder than the second stage on the tool, and if it gets past the second stage then it must be aluminum or something like that and will not effect the base material of the tool itself which is most likely some kind of hardened tool steel...

Comment

Originally posted by hwingo View Post
                  I would say that just about does it. Looks like a perfect match. What mineral adorns the tip?

Harold
                  Diamond. If you ever decide to throw it away, remember that there is a guy in WI/IL who may use it as a spare for his hardness tester.
                  Mike
                  WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Make a good centre punch.....................................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

A bloke at work used my dresser as a drift......only admitted it, laughing, years later.

Comment

I was taught to never use a "C BRALE" penetrator on soft metals because you can damage the diamond's mount. If you don't know, start with a "B " penetrator which is a 1/16 in hardened ball and is replaceable if you should happen to flatten it. You can also use the "C" penetrator on the superficial "N " scales as for testing case hardened parts, and uses a much lighter load. Bob.

Comment

Do you want a good centre punch your lordship I could certainly provide you with one LOL oh wait I forgot I am a coward LOL Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Vickers 120 degree tip for ali, 5kg load, cancell that, vickers is diamond shaped, numpty
                            Mark
                            Last edited by boslab; 11-27-2013, 10:26 PM. Reason: Thick

Comment

Yes, looks like it's off a Rockwell.

Comment

Working...
                              X