No announcement yet.

Amazons drones - seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need a Barret .50 to take one of these out of the sky when a dishtowel thrown off the neighbor's roof will do just as good.

But come on guys, this is a well timed prank. Bezos isn't stupid enough to actually want delivery by drone. The lawyers would be wanking themselves delusional at the thought of a drone slicing up little Timmy as he tries to get to the drone before it can drop it's package.

Cyber Monday anyone? Hello?

Amazon found a rather ingenious way to put Amazon into the unconcious mind of everybody shopping online.

Comment

So you get your Gizmo sky delivered but have to jump in the car, drive 25 miles to return the empty box or get charged $50 for non old unit returned ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by morehelium View Post
        But come on guys, this is a well timed prank.

Cyber Monday anyone? Hello?

Amazon found a rather ingenious way to put Amazon into the unconcious mind of everybody shopping online.
        Agreed. IIRC, Domino's Pizza did something similar a few weeks ago. Put this in the "nice to have but never happening" category, like my jetpack and my flying car.

Reminds me I have to go and spend some money with Amazon...

Comment

Flat rate box? I have a foot square steel block I need to send off.
          Andy

Comment

no way this gets past the lawyers and insurance companies. the suits will kill this ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by morehelium View Post

Boy I don't know if it works that way in this case as it's basically just a shipping company and not a product creating entity,

and then there's the fact of it being in the unconscious mind as "Man that dudes wacked, im not dealing with ""those people""

I can see them dumping in enough moneys to about sink the company --- trying to cover every possible glitch and then it still failing - then the big hindsight report comes out after the company goes belly up and it states;

"We underestimated the American Redneck and not only how many there are but just how hostile of an environment they can create with simple sticks, stones, bubble gum, "chaw and chaw containers", beer bottles and cans both full and empty, caps, chain wallets, chain wallets attached to belts, chain wallets attached to belts with oversize belt buckles, chain wallets attached to belts with oversize buckles attached to suspenders,,, 2 to 5 lb Ford - Chevy - Dodge ignition key logo's... both 8 track and cassette style tape players and the use of said tape against the drones,
              loose and quickly detachable outhouse door handles, every buckshot shooting firearm known to man, opossum tails knitted together, deer, elk, moose, goat, pronghorn antlers,,, tire irons, jacks (extended) and spare tires, or anything else deemed "loose and not needed" by the average redneck, cannons, pipe bombs, and large kegs of gunpowder,

and last but not least - loose teeth - sling shots, large chunks of gum diseased flesh and magnetic based plastic dashboard Jesuses... "
              A.K. Boomer
              Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 12-03-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

"Sorry sir, our records indicate your package was delivered, we are not responsible for lost or stolen merchandise."

"You paid how much to have your package drone delivered????"
                "I know it was too much, but it's hard to put a price on how cool I look right now."

How many unemployed delivery drivers does it take to shoot down a delivery drone?

I bet it never reaches economic viability for most deliveries(all?). As a marketing gimmick they sure have everyone talking about it.

Abner's updated rules for understanding most situations;

1) Follow the money.
                2) Who gains from the attention.
                3) The second guy to throw a fist is usually the one who gets caught.

Comment

Doesn't this fit in the same category as Ryanair wanting to only use one pilot, and have a steward take over in case of problems?

Free advertising...
                  All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

People said google cars were never gonna happen.
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                      People said google cars were never gonna happen.
                      They haven't, and they won't. In fact, a lot of folks (Reddit/Slashdot) are calling the drones Amazon's response to Google's car

It could also have a lot to do with the fact that Amazon has never turned a profit
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Not YET. lol
                        Andy

Comment

Is this not a december fools joke?
                          I could think of many many reasons why this (excuse the pun) will never take of, or get off the ground LOL .Can you imagine the number of accidents that could happen?
                          In a week when my old hometown of Glasgow in Scotland has seen the deaths of so many and injuries of even more from a *piloted* helicopter coming down on a bar full of people and causing mayhem death and serious injuries where the death toll could rise even yet.These so called drones are just accidents waiting to happen albeit on a smaller scale then you see that theft could also be a big problem it goes on and on .I seriously fail to see this ever work EVER. Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Maybe, Amazon could get themselves armed drones!

Comment

While I agree this is an attention grabbing skit for Amazon (at least for now) I can't imagine it would be anymore dangerous than a bunch of delivery trucks barreling down the freeway to deliver packages. The main problem with drones as with trucks isn't the vehicle, it is the people involved.
                              My cup 'o plasma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1vMfmhM9fg No dialog, just ten minutes of dancing plasma and music. Turn on, tune in, space out.

Comment

Originally posted by Weekend_Scientist View Post
                                While I agree this is an attention grabbing skit for Amazon (at least for now) I can't imagine it would be anymore dangerous than a bunch of delivery trucks barreling down the freeway to deliver packages. The main problem with drones as with trucks isn't the vehicle, it is the people involved.
                                At least with the highway you can make a choice to be on it or not. No such choice if these things start buzzing over neighborhoods.
                                George
                                Traverse City, MI

Comment

Working...
                                X