Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotta tell someone but don't want to gloat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta tell someone but don't want to gloat.

Title says it but I'm all of a dither.
    Got a set of books last week [ did I mention I collect books ]
    Full original set of Lives of the Engineers by Smiles published in 1874, good condition but the spines have faded being on a shelf.
    They cover Metcalfe and Telford, Smeaton and Rennie, George and Robert Stephenson, Boulton and Watt, Brindley and the early engineers in five volumes.

Started to have a look thru last night and these books have never been read since printing.

OK I can see you trying to work this one out.

The pages have never been cut from printing.
    They have been printed in a block of 16, folded and stitched but never cut.
    Only every 8th page can be opened up.

Should I return this set to the publishers and try to get my two shillings and eight pence back.??
    That was a lot in 1874 and I don't want to be out of pocket.

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 04-22-2004).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I bet you stapled em all together !

Comment

Yes, John, they are without a doubt defective. Please send them to me for evaluation. They may not be worth fixing and if so I will not bother to send them back. Will be watching the mail.
      Michael

Comment

Do you realize what this means? The course of the entire world's technological advance may have been forever altered by the failure of some engineer in the past to open and read those pages. Think of all the needless human suffering that might have been averted. Quite possibly Saddam Hussein might have turned out a totally different person... maybe a great humanitarian and world philanthropist.

Comment

Very nice catch John! Congratulations.

I didn't take it as a gloat but it is definitely an accomplishment deserving of a gloat.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgp001:
            I bet you stapled em all together !</font>
            Just spotted the stapler in the pic, didn't realise it was there.
            There are actually four pages between my fingers in the pic joined by folding at the front and top.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John,

Very nice find. In order to preserve them for posterity etc. etc. you really must do something to protect those fine tomes from the terrible climate you suffer. In Williams Lake the humidity never exceeds 45% and for most of the year is at a perfect 35% for storing such books. I am willing to protect them for you at little or no annual fee save the cost of shipping of course. Please ship via air and be sure to mark the parcel customs declaration "gift" to avoid problems with the inspectors. Awaiting your reply...

Evan
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan, I thank you for the very kind and generous offer.
                I realise it must have taken some soul searching before you came to such a monumental decisison to help as you did.

I don't want to appear ungreatful for your unstinting generousity, offering me the opertunity to ship my books 1/2 way round the world at my expense for you to look after, after all this is what friends are for.

However even in the terrible climate that we suffer I'm sure that the side of my bed will remain inbetween acceptable ranges of temperature and humidity.

Thank you for your kind offer.

John S.

Comment

Careful! You two guys are going to bring down the server by piling all this B.S. in it.

Comment

I do what I can...

John, are you going to haul them down the next time the Antiques Road Show is in the neighbourhood?
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

You too!
                      mite

Comment

A 130 year old time capsule. It would be interesting to see what value the Antiques Road Show would put on them but I expect that they are worth more to fellows like us than any of the appraisers on the show. John, i'm glad to see that they came into the hands of someone who appreciates them.
                        To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Now the question is, do you cut the pages and read them, or keep the incredible collector value they must have intact? I remember when I was small watching my dad carefully cut the pages on his prized new first edition books on history of the American West. Seemed strange to me at the time that someone would pay so much for books that required manual labor to be readable.
                          THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

I like old books too. I have a 1957 reprint of the 1899 Model Engineer from England. Also 1901 and 1902. Imagine working by candle light as you run your lathe by foot power.

Comment

Just roll that "first year production" South Bend Lathe in and get them to value it.... why not....?

--jr
                              dvideo

Comment

Working...
                              X