Clear All

glad than never happened to me yet.

Comment

Oh, but it will one of these days.

JL...............
      Originally posted by dian View Post
      glad than never happened to me yet.

Comment

It is quite common for steel to become slightly magnetized from the earth's field when it stays stationary for years. Hammering speeds up the process. Cast iron is very magnetic but does not retain any significant magnetism when the magnetizing force is removed.
        Don Young

Comment

that would mean, there is no danger magnetising a mill by putting magnets on it?

Comment

I "never say 'never'' but I don't think it is possible for cast iron to become magnetized. I would appreciate hearing about anyone who has done it.

Originally posted by dian View Post
            that would mean, there is no danger magnetising a mill by putting magnets on it?
            Don Young

Comment

I can see there being a nano-scale mechanical vibration at the root of this. Perhaps in some cases an oriented vibration or a sympathetic resonance is able to effectively align molecules such that the symptom of magnetization occurs.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

The easy fix is to get one of those $30 plug in demag boxes. One swipe over that and you are demagged.
                Kansas City area

Comment

If you have expensive machines and tools that have become magnetized just send them to me where the environmental lines of flux are going the other way and they will be cured.

Comment

I'll just wait until the earths magnetic fields reverse (any day now) and save myself the shipping.
                    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X