Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally. A pie chart we can all relate to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
    I know its time for a break when I can't find the tool I'm looking for AND ITS STILL IN MY HAND!
    Try plugging an air line directly on a socket,,, that's right - without the "get-it gun" in-between...

Thank you - thank you very much... everybody can go home now - nothing else to see...

Comment

That's why I have multiples of my commonly misplaced items. Can't find the one I just had, oh well, get the spare out. Which is all good until they are all hiding in plain sight.

Comment

worse is if you cant find the money you took out of the bank this morning. (would anybody know where my 16 mm er collet is?)

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
          Try plugging an air line directly on a socket,,, that's right - without the "get-it gun" in-between...

Thank you - thank you very much... everybody can go home now - nothing else to see...
          I thought I was the only one...

Comment

Originally posted by browne92 View Post
            This can only mean one thing. You have the same tool hiding gremlins in the UK that we have here in the States! They must exist, because there is no way that I could lose something so quickly.

This is true. they hide tools and move them around. I have a box with screwdrivers on my bench, not sorted just dumped in there, but I'll look for a Phillips and find nothing but straight drivers, a minute later I'll need a straight driver, and all I find in the box are Phillips.

Last week, I needed my 2.5 inch socket, looked in the bike bay's tool box where it normally is, not there, so I looked in main tool boxes on off chance it got moved, couldn't find it. Was a rush job so I drove the 50 miles to get a new one. Got back, finished job, went to put new one in the old one's spot, and the old one was sitting there where it always is.

The old folks (Can't really say that anymore) used to say leave a bowl of milk out for the fairies, wonder if it would work for shop gremlins?

Comment

I rarely have trouble finding the tool I was just using AS LONG AS I NEVER PUT IT DOWN. Never put down a tool. Then no problem.

:-)

Comment

I have a 1/4" ER16 collet that vanished into thin air in the shop. That was 3 months ago and it has not shown up yet. I agree my red zone runs about 90% of pie.

Dave

Comment

My problem starts out looking for that missing tool I need for the project at hand and turns into, oh! that is where this tool ended up and look here is this one and ........... then after finding and putting back a half dozen tools that have been out of circulation for a while I forget what I'm looking for and even worse what I needed it for.

Steve

Comment

I am very glad you all seem to be having difficulty finding tools you have used just a minute before!!!!!!!!! it is not that I am really glad it's just I thought It was senility creeping in for old Al . Seriously I am getting terribly forgetful short term memory is a dull glow in terms of where it once was.Do you all find this ?Words seem to fail me For example I couldn't for the life of me in conversation remember what the name was for cucumber in the middle of the sentence after a long wait I had to my embarrasment decribe it to the others around the table long green etc. LOL Alistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

It happens in the southern hemisphere too. I've been blaming it on the Tool Gremlins but now I think I like Sterns space/time thing more. It sounds more like you know something when you tell others.

What about the cable Gremlins? You know, the ones that tangle all the cables behind your computer or sound system. I even went through a stage where all the cables behind the sound sytem and also the computer were cable tied neatly together and labled, when I finished putting it all together, and when I had to move stuff sometime later they were all tangled again. How does this happen????
                      All the best for the upcoming festive season, to everyone up the top, from someone down the bottom. Hope your winter is not too cold. Warming up down here, 41/42deg C predicted in some parts here today
                      regards
                      bollie7

Comment

I think this sums it up....

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder. Now you'll understand why I am the way I am.

Age-Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.
                        As I turn on the hose in the driveway,
                        I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage,
                        I notice mail on the porch table that
                        I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table,
                        Put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table,
                        And notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back
                        On the table and take out the garbage first...

But then I think,
                        Since I'm going to be near the mailbox
                        When I take out the garbage anyway,
                        I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table,
                        And see that there is only one check left.
                        My extra checks are in my desk in the study,
                        So I go inside the house to my desk where
                        I find the can of Pepsi I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks,
                        But first I need to push the Pepsi aside
                        So that I don't accidentally knock it over.

The Pepsi is getting warm,
                        And I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi,
                        A vase of flowers on the counter
                        Catches my eye--they need water.

I put the Pepsi on the counter and
                        Discover my reading glasses that
                        I've been searching for all morning.
                        I decide I better put them back on my desk,
                        But first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter ,
                        Fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote.
                        Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV,
                        I'll be looking for the remote,
                        But I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table,
                        So I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs,
                        But first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers,
                        But quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back on the table,
                        Get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to
                        Remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
                        The car isn't washed,
                        The bills aren't paid,
                        There is a warm can of
                        Pepsi sitting on the counter,
                        The flowers don't have enough water,
                        There is still only 1 check in my check book,
                        I can't find the remote,
                        I can't find my glasses,
                        And I don't remember what I did with the car keys.
                        Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today,
                        I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day,
                        And I'm really tired.

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!

Comment

God yes. I've even set down a tool and lost it when I went to pick it up. I've ranted about this sort of time scale to my wife so often...

Comment

I have been working on a 1962 Ford backhoe off and on for several years. When I got ready to put the four loader hydraulic cylinders back on, they weren't where I thought they were. They are about 4 feet long and 5 inches in diameter. It has been nearly a year and they haven't shown up yet. The last time I remember seeing them was when I thought they needed to be put inside out of the weather. The hydraulic pump that I stashed somewhere for safekeeping early on remains safely wherever I put it, too.
                            Don Young

Comment

There are things I've had a pair of or a set of, which have been apart for 20 years at a time. I will find one, remark on having found it, set it aside so I can reunite it with its mate, and then lose the mate.

Long ago I ran across some place that had big sets of cheap screwdrivers, like 20 or 30 in a set. I seriously considered buying a couple, then just going to the door of the shop with them in my hand, shutting my eyese, and broadcasting them across the space. I figured I would then have at least a fighting chance of finding a screwdriver.

Now after many years I just have several of everything. I sometimes find one of what I'm looking for.

Comment

I lost my biggest C clamp a while ago. My shop is not a marvel of cleanliness, granted, but I pretty much know where to look for the tool I need- and there are literally dozens of places where that type of tool has a home- so there I am looking for the clamp. I didn't find it for about a week. Then a friend comes over and marvels at the fact that in all this mess I know exactly where the particular tool is that he needs to use. I say something like 'well, so far I've been pretty good about being able to recall where I last left- whatever'- then as I'm mentioning that I haven't been able to find the C clamp, I see it- clamped to a bench, closer to my face than anything else around. I must have walked right by it a hundred times, barely escaping getting my shirt caught on it.

I'm starting to think of this type of thing as entertainment. No point in getting all frustrated about it.
                                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                                X