Atlas 6X18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas 6X18

There is a very nice and unusual Craftman/Atas lathe on Craigslist Detroit Tools. I never saw this lathe with a backgear before. Price is a tad high for this part of the country tho. Bob.

Backgear was standard on these from day one. Some are missing the gears because they have had teeth stripped off, but they were there to start.

Comment

Mine has a backgear, came with it new back in the late 60's.

Comment

I owned a 6X18 Craftsman for many years, NO backgear on the one I had. Bob,

Comment

Searched for it to see the asking price, couldn't find it, what were they asking, just curious?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
            I owned a 6X18 Craftsman for many years, NO backgear on the one I had. Bob,
            The 101.07300? They are prized by collectors, due to their rarity. I'm not kidding. I've never seen one in person, only pictures.

Comment

The asking price was $645.Bob. Listing is still up., Redford Mi.
              Last edited by Bob Fisher; 12-22-2013, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Is this it?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tls/4234513900.html

Comment

Nope, that one is in Flint and does not have a backgear either, and is $675. Bob.

Comment

Found it .
                    http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/4253939857.html
                    Last edited by J.Ramsey; 12-22-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I've had one with a back gear for 30 years.
                      Inherited it from my father in law.
                      He was a tool engineer at the Allison plant in Indianapolis.
                      It has every conceivable accessory and tool.
                      Great little lathe.
                      Bill
                      I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
                        Nope, that one is in Flint and does not have a backgear either, and is $675. Bob.

It's a 101.07301, it came with backgear and still has the engaging lever for it.

Maybe the gears are gone, but there's no way to tell from the picture. But what you can see says it's there.

Comment

Huh, funny you mention this. I just recently acquired a Craftsman Atlas 6x18 lathe, model 101.07301, 1950s or 60s vintage. The difference I cain't tell ya, but I will say this; despite being a bit dilapidated, with a worn-out chuck, it's actually a very nice lathe.

But I have my doubts about it being worth $650... even if the model is rare, it's still an old, 6x18 mini lathe. At $645, it's over half of a new, similarly-sized Grizzly lathe. Just my two cents.

Comment

well it is high. but you get a lot with it. plus it is still a better lathe then the mini stuff sold at arbor fright.

Comment

Those lathes will sell for that price i'm thinking, i have seen them sell for $1000.00 before -(with tooling and chucks etc.)
                              They seem to be in great demand with a large following on the 618 yahoo groups pages.

Comment

Working...
                              X