My precision abrasive chop saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My precision abrasive chop saw

I have made many many tools and machines for my own use,but this is my favorite. I use this almost every time I make something.When I set the end stop I can hold +-.003 on 1/2inch stock and +- .007 on 1 inch stock.It uses a .040x 7 wheel and cuts thru the vise.The pwerhead is a $200 makita tru speed control grinder with tru feedback speed control.This is the second version of this saw ,it has many features that are hard to type about ,so I am planning to make a You tube vid soon.Edwin

Nice custom machine, thank you for sharing! Might want to add coolant to that and it keeps even beter tolerance on the parts I use a similar type tool to chop ejector pins for mold construction and can easily achieve +-0.01 mm in length difference between pins cut on the same setting.

Even though it gives a bit of a mess, it is a machine that I go to whenever I need something less than 20 mm in diameter shortened a little or cut off to certain lengths. Bolts, pins, (diamond) files, guide posts, you name it.
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Nice construction , do you have any problems with part being cut off moving and that causing unwanted marking?
      Michael

Comment

Nice piece of work Edwin,, so the table raises up to cut through the stock? Am i seeing this correctly?

Comment

More details ,posible danger.

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
          Nice piece of work Edwin,, so the table raises up to cut through the stock? Am i seeing this correctly?
          A word of caution,I only use free cutting NON REENFORCED WHEELS. These will explode if you run them faster them 8000 rpm,I know, I have blown 5 wheels experimenting.Also I use a foot switch to turn the wheel on and off,some grinders wont allow this.This makita is great.This is why I used this very expensive speed controled grinder. The entire power head pivots.It is spring loader up, it pivots down thru the cam operated vise to make the cut .The wheel gaurd pivots out of the way to change wheels.The entire top surface and the vise is slanted backwards .so that when you put a part on the machine it goes right against the back and bottom of the vise jaws and the sliding work supports.Also this grinder is a soft start,The only thing I wish it had was a brake.Edwin

Comment

Superb! I really like theat cam vise. Can you offer more details about it?
            Who do I think you are...?

Comment

After new year

Originally posted by HAP View Post
              Superb! I really like theat cam vise. Can you offer more details about it?
              Thanks you, I dont type well. In Jan 2014 I plan to make a you tube video. The first part will be like a tv infomercial showing a bunch of different cuts.I think people will be exited when I cut some 1 1/4 hardened steel pin like butter and other dificult cuts. The second part will show some what I consider to be valuable features for those who would build this and incorperate there own improvements (everything can be made better) .The third part I will try to show actual measurments and give part numbers for those who want to more or less copy this. Like I said this is the second design of this machine ,the first one ,I used for 25 years. i have 5 children and 16 grandkids and it is a very busy timeEdwin

Comment

Working...
              X