No announcement yet.

OT: REAL hominy grits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to really agree on the consistency thing. Nothing worse than watery or lumpy grits. Should stick to the spoon or fork and be lump free. But the flavor thing is important too. Some brands are too bland with no flavor at all.

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    I've tried some from these folks-
    http://palmettofarms.com/Stone-Groun...ite-Grits.html

and these-
    http://www.louisianapridegristmill.c...ound-grits.php

Both are good IMO with a price prefrence towards the latter.I haven't bought any in a few years though as a family friend grows Shoepeg corn and grinds his own.

As I have witnessed there are people who "cook" Grits and people who "soak" Grits.I am squarely in the soak colum.All I ever do is bring them to a boil,cover and shut the heat off then come back about 15 or so minutes later.IMO Grits are as much about the consistency as flavor.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Soaking corn in lye does not make me hungry. Being a northern boy I'm sure my exposure has not been the best but I have had grits,probably from a can or a box, and they are ok with some jelly or butter and brown sugar.
      There is an Amish place the wife and I like that has fried corn meal mush,sometimes I feel like I have eaten my weight of the stuff it's so good.

Hash browns are greasy in restaurants because the need to be cooked fast so they add grease.I like mine dry with some onions thrown in.
      Now if I could find a place that makes sausage gravy from scratch I'd be on my way.

Comment

Just make your own. Homemade is always better --

Iowa Farm Sausage

40 oz. Pork butt
        8 oz. Fat back
        1 1/2 T. Rubbed sage
        1 1/2 T. Dried tarragon
        1 T. Powdered ginger
        2 tsp. Kosher salt
        2 tsp. Dried basil
        1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
        1 tsp. Ground dried Thai Dragon pepper (optional)
        3 oz. Finely minced onions
        0.5 oz. Finely chopped fresh parsley
        2 Cloves garlic, crushed
        2 oz. Cold water

Grind the pork and fat back using a medium small (1/4”) blade. In a small bowl, combine the dried spices. In a large bowl, mix the ground pork with the combined spices and the onions, parsley, and garlic. Knead and squeeze the mixture until well blended. Package in 8 ounce portions. Keeps in the refrigerator for 3 days or in the freezer for 3 months.

Sausage Gravy

8 oz. Pork sausage
        6 oz. Diced onions
        8 oz. Milk
        8 oz. Light cream
        1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
        Prepared roux

Brown the sausage in a large frying pan. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the milk, cream, and salt and bring to a boil. Stir in the roux, reduce the heat, and cook until thickened.

Note: The quantity of roux is not specified. This is to allow you to thicken the gravy to your desired consistency. Some like the gravy to be as thick as wall paper paste, others the consistence of pancake batter. Start with 1 tablespoon and allow to cook for about 2 minutes. Add more, a small amount at a time, until the gravy reaches the desired thickness. Be aware it will thicken more as it cools.

Buttermilk Biscuits

8 oz. All purpose flour
        4 oz. Pastry flour
        0.5 oz. Granulated sugar
        1 oz. Baking powder
        1/4 tsp. Baking soda
        1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
        1.5 oz. Vegetable shortening
        0.5 oz. Butter
        6 oz. Buttermilk

Sift together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening and butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the buttermilk to the flour all at once. Stir just enough to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat out to 3/4” thick and cut with a 2 1/2” round cutter. Bake at 425° F on an ungreased baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
        Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Working...
        X