Windows 8 ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 ?????

Has any one here tried windows 8 yet????? I got my girl friend a nice lap top for Christmas, it came with win 8. I didn't give it much thought as when you buy a new computer it usually comes with the latest operating system. I've been through a lot of windows operating systems but this one sucks really bad, I don't know how they released it. I don't know where I'm at can't shut it down, things keep popping up, can't stand it any more.
    Can win 7 be installed in place of it?? I can't find any free down load for win 7 other than some hacks, they look a bit complicated and time consuming, but I'll try it worst comes to worst but I'm not paying for it.

JL...................

Yep. It's ok when you get used to it. For now I prefer to run Win7, but I thought the same about XP when 7 came out. I resist change, but...

So.. like any manf installation of Windows, you need to nuke all the damn ad and freebe stuff - that's what clutters up the system.

Comment

Personally, I will NOT use Win8. Instead of producing something people want, Microsoft intends to force upon us their idea of utopia. My computer is not a phone and I don't want it to look or act like one! If your computer has a touch screen and all you want to do is surf the web and play games, go for it. I don't like touch screens, I don't like icons-only and I don't like having no control over the system. This is where I part ways with windows and start using Linux. (There was a rumor months ago that public disgust was great enough Microsoft was going to provide an 'update' to allow a conventional user interface. We'll see).

Comment

It's called 8.1 and a download is available to update of 8.0.

Comment

I'm on the hate it wagon with ya
          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

I bought my wife of 33 years a new Lenovo laptop PC for Christmas and it came running Windows 8. My younger son updated it to 8.1 before we gave it to her.

She got it because her desktop machine, a Celeron processor one running Windows XP was failing and she wanted more mobility when playing her on-line Pogo games. Believe me, if it was all that hard to learn I would have been the first to hear about it, and she is NOT friendly with change.

She flat out loves the thing!

Comment

All the vendors who can are playing in the same game - branding, cloud services, elimination of the general purpose computer. Branding ties you into the vendor for what ever comes next and you are not part of that decision. Cloud services means you don't need much of a hard drive because you store all you data on their hard drives and they crawl it 24/7/365 looking for marketing crowbars they can use to separate you from your paycheck. They exist for them. Not like the old days, eh.

The general purpose computer is history (unless you're using Linux). Windows and Mac OS fulfill the dreams of the vendor, not you. The OS directs you to the company store at every opportunity to encourage you to buy something. The modern help desk: There's an app that will do that!

The "apps stores" in all their incarnations are the undoing of the open source movement movement. All the building blocks in the utopian app world are intended to build bridges to the app store d'jur where you can find anything you want so long as it appeases the app store keepers. Remember going to computer stores to buy shelfware products that did the things you wanted? Gone. The iPhone model, a captured market, is fed exclusively by the iphone app store. I recall having written dozens of applications that solved unique problems that were I to rewrite them today would be useless. Can't upload them to phones unless they're blessed by the app store.

Used to be you could install Adobe Photoshop and other Adobe apps on your computer and they were there and worked forever. Now you rent them from the Adobe cloud, and if you don't pay the rent they quit working. You would never accept that for eggs and bacon with hash browns - why accept it for software? It's all a load of crap.

Comment

Imagine now, having to buy a new lap top to replace the XP professional with all the plc automation softwares not compatible with the new W8 64bit. I'm at a crossroad not knowing what to do. W7 had a compatibility mode I can't find any info on W8.
                My daughters have an Asus tablet each. One with W8 RT and the other plain W8 and the 2 are not compatible.
                Helder Ferreira
                Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Sorry, double post
                  Last edited by Noitoen; 12-28-2013, 04:31 AM. Reason: Double post
                  Helder Ferreira
                  Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I have been fighting win 8 at my parents, but just found this page this week
                    http://gizmodo.com/5955139/windows-8...nd-workarounds

It might help you to find the new mouse controls like holding the cursor in the screen corner.
                    Igor

Comment

i was in the same situation last christmas. computer from aldi with windows 8. fortunately i was able to give it back after having struggled with it for two months. then i had a new computer specially configured to run windows xp. it not without flaws, but it works.
                      Last edited by dian; 12-28-2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I bought a new system earlier this year with Windows 8 on it and hated it at first but have sort of got used to it. I don't care much for the way it lets you view pictures and I really hate the fact that Outlook (email program) is essentially useless now - it is nothing like what I was used to for the past 15 or more years.

Comment

Look into this, maybe?

Another option-

http://www.classicshell.net/

Comment

Well I guess I'm not the only one here that hates this operating system. I looked into 8.1 but it looks like you have to buy it............
                            I ain't buying nothing!!!! I bought a new computer with a horrible operating system, and it looks like most will agree. I'm committed now, I'm looking for a hack, nothing to loose as there isn't any data on this thing yet.

JL.................

Comment

From what I read on Microsoft's website upgrading from 8 to 8.1 is free.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X