Free 8x24 magnetic chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free 8x24 magnetic chuck

No I won't ship it. You come and pick it up.
    Dam thing is well over a hundred pounds.

Its mechanical
    Last edited by 1-800miner; 12-30-2013, 07:03 PM.

Meet me half way?
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Where exactly are you?
      -Roland
      Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

That would be a perfect match for my mill. It's table is 9 x 32. LOL

I'm only 2 hours from the Sierras, but it depends on which part of the Sierras we are talking about. I'm 6 hours from the north end of the mountain range. Hmm. I'm 6 from the south end too. Oh well. It's still too big for my mill.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Even if you don't have a grinder, here's a novel use for one. I was able to watch a machine rebuilder do the final scraping on a gib once. It was a dovetail gib with no square edges to any other. He used a long mag chuck after bluing to hold it while scraping. It struck me as a smart way to do it. ...always wanted one after seeing that

Comment

A few inches too long for My grinder, but just curious is it mechanical or electric?

Steve

Comment

Dan,

You typically wouldn't use a magnetic chuck on a milling machine. Mostly they are found on grinding equipment.

Brian

Originally posted by danlb View Post

I'm only 2 hours from the Sierras, but it depends on which part of the Sierras we are talking about. I'm 6 hours from the north end of the mountain range. Hmm. I'm 6 from the south end too. Oh well. It's still too big for my mill.

Dan
              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

We had one in work on a bench for cleaning up steel sheet and plate samples for sparking, using an abrasive disk, i found it handy for all sorts including welding things back together, i have one in the shop for welding, its old and a bit knackered but very usefull, the machine shop used one on a mill for ali, they bolted the ali to a plate, less distortion than a vice and quicker to set up.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                  Dan,

You typically wouldn't use a magnetic chuck on a milling machine. Mostly they are found on grinding equipment.

Brian
                  Yeah mostly, but it is invaluable tool when (rough) machining plate stock on 5 sides in a mill But I wouldn't use a chuck meant for grinding to mill things much, as the power might not be the best.
                  Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                    Dan,

Brian
                    Thanks for the wise advice. Yes, I'm aware of how it should be used. The problem is that I'm a gadget freak and yet I still don't have a mag chuck. Somewhere in my soul it says that I must have one of everything.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Dan
                      Yup, you are about six hours away.

Comment

The problem is that I'm a gadget freak and yet I still don't have a mag chuck. Somewhere in my soul it says that I must have one of everything.
                        Solution: buy a surface grinder, then you WILL have a need for a magnetic chuck... Solves two problems at once...

Comment

I like your idea tmarks. I keep looking at surface grinders in the Craigslist ads. So far I've resisted, but mainly because I have no room for another large machine.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X