Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danlb
    replied
    I like your idea tmarks. I keep looking at surface grinders in the Craigslist ads. So far I've resisted, but mainly because I have no room for another large machine.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• tmarks11
    replied
    Originally posted by danlb View Post
    The problem is that I'm a gadget freak and yet I still don't have a mag chuck. Somewhere in my soul it says that I must have one of everything.
    Solution: buy a surface grinder, then you WILL have a need for a magnetic chuck... Solves two problems at once...

Leave a comment:

• 1-800miner
    replied
    That would be a perfect match for my mill. It's table is 9 x 32. LOL

I'm only 2 hours from the Sierras, but it depends on which part of the Sierras we are talking about. I'm 6 hours from the north end of the mountain range. Hmm. I'm 6 from the south end too. Oh well. It's still too big for my mill.

Dan
    Yup, you are about six hours away.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
    Dan,

You typically wouldn't use a magnetic chuck on a milling machine. Mostly they are found on grinding equipment.

Brian
    Thanks for the wise advice. Yes, I'm aware of how it should be used. The problem is that I'm a gadget freak and yet I still don't have a mag chuck. Somewhere in my soul it says that I must have one of everything.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
    Dan,

You typically wouldn't use a magnetic chuck on a milling machine. Mostly they are found on grinding equipment.

Brian
    Yeah mostly, but it is invaluable tool when (rough) machining plate stock on 5 sides in a mill But I wouldn't use a chuck meant for grinding to mill things much, as the power might not be the best.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    We had one in work on a bench for cleaning up steel sheet and plate samples for sparking, using an abrasive disk, i found it handy for all sorts including welding things back together, i have one in the shop for welding, its old and a bit knackered but very usefull, the machine shop used one on a mill for ali, they bolted the ali to a plate, less distortion than a vice and quicker to set up.
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    Dan,

Brian

I'm only 2 hours from the Sierras, but it depends on which part of the Sierras we are talking about. I'm 6 hours from the north end of the mountain range. Hmm. I'm 6 from the south end too. Oh well. It's still too big for my mill.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• doctor demo
    replied
    A few inches too long for My grinder, but just curious is it mechanical or electric?

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Arthur.Marks
    replied
    Even if you don't have a grinder, here's a novel use for one. I was able to watch a machine rebuilder do the final scraping on a gib once. It was a dovetail gib with no square edges to any other. He used a long mag chuck after bluing to hold it while scraping. It struck me as a smart way to do it. ...always wanted one after seeing that

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied

Dan

Leave a comment:

• rmcphearson
    replied
    Where exactly are you?

Leave a comment:

• jep24601
    replied
    Meet me half way?

Leave a comment:

• 1-800miner
    started a topic Free 8x24 magnetic chuck

Free 8x24 magnetic chuck

No I won't ship it. You come and pick it up.
    Dam thing is well over a hundred pounds.

Its mechanical
    Last edited by 1-800miner; 12-30-2013, 07:03 PM.
Working...
X