No announcement yet.

We have it EASY---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be interesting if the Earth were on one of those show-case News/Drama shows
    like Good Morning America or what have you.

The hoste would ask, "So, Earth.... how you feel'n today?"

And the earth replys "Well I got a bad case 'O humanity just now, but I'm run'n a fever
    so it'll pass soon. Had it a few times before. I'll be OK .... and You? };~)

Comment

I often find that I can't believe how easy we have it.

We have medicines that make let most children make it to adulthood. We have procedures that make the infertile able to have families. Heart attacks are often not fatal, and the quality of life after heart surgery is quite good. Child diabetics live full, long lives, far longer than the 20 years that was typical when my brother was diagnosed in 1960.

We have instant access to more than just trivia. We have access to more "how to" information than was ever available to our parents. The encyclopedia set that my parents bought with a month's income was a treasure trove of information that put me ahead of many others at school. Today that information is available to just about everyone.

Since this is the Home Shop Machinist, I should mention that even THAT is much easier than it used to be. 10 years ago I could not spell lath. Now I have two lathes, both purchased for very little, and even better, I know how to use them thanks to the internet and a 4 hour class that validated what I learned by myself. The same goes for my mills. they cost me less than a week's pay for both of them. Now I'm following the same path with welding. The proper forums are as useful as spending time with a mentor IF you can weed out the bad advice. You have to do that with mentors too.

My grand dad retired in his 50's, but he'd been injured in the train yard. I retired in my 50's so that I could enjoy life before I hit the point where I was not able to do the things I want to do.

Life is easy. Life is good. So's the coffee.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

We have it very well & how busy, overworked, stressed is set by the the choices we make. Smartphones, cable TV, new cars & trucks,etc. If we lived like our grandparents did we'd be less stressed for sure. I love being cheap, thrifty whatever & use a $5 cell phone with a $10 a month bill, drive good used cars paid for with cash, no cable but Netflix & Amazon because we don't watch hours & hours of TV. Own everything we have, don't believe in staying in debt & only then to buy a home. Lease our farmland to pay the taxes & expenses, selectively log our remote hunting property on a 10 year cycle. To make a long story short, live simple, find ways that pay your expenses & be debt free, happy & above all thankful. Theses ARE the good old days!

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
          We have it very well & how busy, overworked, stressed is set by the the choices we make. Smartphones, cable TV, new cars & trucks,etc. If we lived like our grandparents did we'd be less stressed for sure. I love being cheap, thrifty whatever & use a $5 cell phone with a $10 a month bill, drive good used cars paid for with cash, no cable but Netflix & Amazon because we don't watch hours & hours of TV. Own everything we have, don't believe in staying in debt & only then to buy a home. Lease our farmland to pay the taxes & expenses, selectively log our remote hunting property on a 10 year cycle. To make a long story short, live simple, find ways that pay your expenses & be debt free, happy & above all thankful. Theses ARE the good old days!
          I donno if you should leave that post up for long!
          You might have squatters before you know it, and don'tcha know it, they're a protected species.

Comment

Home, home on the range has a bit different meaning to me. LOL target range!

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
              Home, home on the range has a bit different meaning to me. LOL target range!
              Teddy wud have been Proud!

Comment

When given lemons some people collapse, some make lemonade, the more capable make "Mikes Hard Lemonade". Life is what you make of it. Flylo is right, good or bad, these are the good old days.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                X