Ring gear engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring gear engine

Some of you may recall when I started working on this engine. It's based on Elmer's engine but my own design. Sir John helped with the gear profile.
    Well, other paying jobs and my day job got in the way of finishing it, but it finally is.

Some more pics:

Comment

more:

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sids32/media/ring%20gear%20engine/SIDEPLATE-2_zps9273684a.jpg.html][IMG]

Comment

more:

Comment

Nice.
          i like that vee block in the last picture, can't say i have seen one of these before.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
            Nice.
            i like that vee block in the last picture, can't say i have seen one of these before.
            John- that vee block was a custom made piece. EDM'd hardened,ground. The block can replace the rear jaw on a Kurt vice, bolted in place. Most times I don't however.

Comment

I wonder if anyone would be interested in details to make this engine?

Sid

Comment

Hi Sid,

Although I probably won't build one I do enjoy watching the build threads. Post away.

Thanks,
                Brian
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I would be interested. I have a '50's style portable drill speed reducer ($1 flea market find) that has an epicyclic gear that could be used. The bearings were shot but the gear system is built like a tank. It is waiting for a project.

Geoff

Comment

very unique Sid,

I try to predict the way a motor or engine is going to sound by it's design and such, Due to using straight cut gears as part of the propulsion drive I was expecting intermittent whining sounds as the power strokes where engaging and then letting off,
                    What I failed to deduct was the fact that's it's an internal gear which in general has many teeth still in contact at once and is relatively quite when compared to conventional, my prediction was way off as your engine is pretty darned smooth sounding...

Comment

James Watt is rolling over..
                      You have eliminated the need
                      for the Watt's link!

--Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

I would love to have the plans and build instructions ! Great job !!
                        Brian
                        Toolznthings

Comment

Working...
                        X