Silver & Deming Drill Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver & Deming Drill Bits

Does any one have any experience with this brand ?
    Thanks
    Happy New Year to All

It is not a brand, it is a type of drill. They are also called blacksmith drills. They were invented by Silver & Deming in the 1850's and are a large diameter drill with a reduced, 1/2" shank.
    Jim H.

Comment

Was just woundering saw some on e-bay for less then $ 8.00 each from 9/16 - 1" are they worth buying

Comment

Probably Chinese i would guess. But maybe not.

Comment

They are if'n you only have a 1/2 press and need a bigger hole !

Comment

Silver and Demings where originally two companies that merged because they were making the same product, reduced shank drills that would fit into collets. This was before drill chucks had been invented and reduced the number of collet sizes required. Smaller drills are 3/8" and the larger ones are 1/2".
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

If you have a Morse taper in your drill press or mill, you would be better off with taper shank drills. Silver a Demming drills have a nasty habit of spinning in the chuck due to their relatively small shank. Some have three flats on the shank which is better, but I still prefer taper shank drills for the larger sizes.

Tom
              Tom's Techniques

Comment

yes i know all my machines have morse taper but i thought i could use the bits in my hand drills

Comment

Here is a short history of Silver & Deming, the S&D drill was incidental to their woodworking machinery business and invented long after the company was originally formed.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...l.aspx?id=1017

This is a photo of a "blacksmith" or post drill. They did not have a chuck or collets, just a simple female socket, usually of 1/2" diameter.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/4120653-lg.jpg

I don't know the fate of the Silver company after the split, but Deming went on to manufacture pumps and is now Crane Deming and is still based in Salem Ohio, the original home of Silver & Deming.
                  Jim H.

Comment

I use them all the time and they work great. I have a 3/4" chuck on my drill press, and the straight shank on Silver and Deming drills works fine in it. They are not terribly expensive brand new.---Brian
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

I would not want to be without my set of Silver/Deming bits in 64ths. I step drill up to the size Im after. They arent know for an especially accurate hole (not uncommon for a drill bit). I recently bought an inexpensive set of unknown brand bits off ebay and have been very pleasantly surprised at the quality of them. Ive been finding the quality of the stuff coming out of China has been improving quite a bit in the last couple years --- YMMV
                      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Here are the ones i bean looking at. Is it waist ?
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Twist-...item19d8cca6ea

Comment

Hi,

I find the ad a bit confusing. Is the price for the set or pick a size and get one drill? In a general way, unless buying 'dollar store' drills, I have found Chinese made drills to be OK. Not great, but serviceable, particularly for a home shop use. You should check the grind before first use to be sure it was sharpened properly as sometimes they aren't. Occasionally you will get a stinker, either too brittle or soft. But that doesn't happen very often anymore.

dalee
                          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                            I use them all the time and they work great. I have a 3/4" chuck on my drill press, and the straight shank on Silver and Deming drills works fine in it. They are not terribly expensive brand new.---Brian

"They are not expensive band new"???????

That statement doesn't make sense, since Silver&Deming is a TYPE of drill and not a brand they can range from dirt cheap (and usually junk!) to very high quality and quite expensive compared to other drills. I see Harbor Freight S&D drills all the time for about $39 but my Precision brand cost over $350 with shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by radkins View Post
                              "They are not expensive band new"???????

That statement doesn't make sense, since Silver&Deming is a TYPE of drill and not a brand they can range from dirt cheap (and usually junk!) to very high quality and quite expensive compared to other drills. I see Harbor Freight S&D drills all the time for about $39 but my Precision brand cost over $350 with shipping.
                              My new years resolution for 2014 was to spell everything wrong!!!!
                              Brian Rupnow

Comment

Working...
                              X