Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

copper sulfate (sulphate if you will)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • + or - Zero
    replied
    It's possibly worth mentioning that it's pretty easy to come up with rather deadly gas from some acid/sulfate combos. Nothing as advocated here in this thread so far is in that category (unless you are in an air tight room and have your nose in the jar, maybe).

    But it is really easy to go get the wrong thing and die from it. If you want here's a bit about the wave of suicides in Japan back in 2008, using nothing but simple store bought sulfides and acids.

    This has some graphic images, they didn't bother me and I don't think they are all that bad, but be warned if you want to read this;

    http://www.colofirechiefs.org/ffsafe...uicide0210.pdf

    It's just an overview and not inclusive --I only bring this up because I do some home brew anodizing and doing some really innocent seeming things that one might be tempted to experiment with or do, like mixing some of the solutions I use together could have real bad results (like thinking you'll just pour the waste in a bucket to carry away for disposal, or other easy but stupid mistakes).

    Not playing safety police here, just wanted to point out that just because you can buy something innocuous in the store doesn't mean it can't be dangerous if used, intentionally or accidentally, in the wrong way.

    On edit; I see I'm not the only person that thought it worth a mention (they type faster then me I guess), although it's a lot of stuff, not just copper and battery acid that can be harmful.

    Zero.
    Last edited by + or - Zero; 01-03-2014, 06:31 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • drmico60
    replied
    Originally posted by Circlip View Post
    Just from a safety point, that no one has mentioned, if you go for the dissolved Copper in Sulphuric (Sulfuric) acid channel, Cu (Copper) + H2So4 (Sulph/furic) = CuSo4 (Copper Sulf/phate) + H2 (Hydrogen).
    SO DO IT OUTSIDE, AWAY FROM KNACKERED FLAMES.

    Regards Ian.



    Copper metal will not dissolve in sulphuric acid to produce hydrogen. Copper will only dissolve in sulphuric acid in the presence of an oxidising agent. Air will do but the reaction is very slow. Best way would be to heat a bunch of copper wire until it turns black. The black is copper oxide. Quench in sulphuric acid and the copper oxide will more or less instantly dissolve. Pull out the wire and reheat until it goes black again and repeat the process.

    However, it is much easier just to order some copper sulphate on ebay.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • Circlip
    replied
    Just from a safety point, that no one has mentioned, if you go for the dissolved Copper in Sulphuric (Sulfuric) acid channel, Cu (Copper) + H2So4 (Sulph/furic) = CuSo4 (Copper Sulf/phate) + H2 (Hydrogen).


    SO DO IT OUTSIDE, AWAY FROM KNACKERED FLAMES.

    Regards Ian.

    Leave a comment:


  • trackfodder
    replied
    Most hardware stores sell copper sulfate by the pound to kill roots in the sewer. You need to mix it in sulfuric acid to make it work. It does pretty good. I had forgotten about it. Thanx for reminding me. Heat the steel a bit first.
    The stupid EPA may have taken that away too. Dunno, but Peters ACE hdwe in Dewey OK has gobs of it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    For shop layout use, get some tree root killer, ( Copper Sulphate is also known as Blue Vitrol )
    Dissolve the crystals in some hot water, add some salt and 5-10 % sulfuric acid ( careful !).
    This solution will copper plate any bare ferrous (steel) material. The salt and acid speed up the copper coating
    Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 01-02-2014, 09:59 PM. Reason: speeling

    Leave a comment:


  • millwrong
    replied
    OK I'll bite. What happens if you use an increased Patrick??

    Leave a comment:


  • rickyb
    replied
    If you want to avoid the acid, just dissolve some copper sulphate in distiller water and electroplate the copper on to your part. 1.5 to 6 volts and a decreased Patrick is all you need.

    Leave a comment:


  • MichaelP
    replied
    I simply make a fully saturated solution by dissolving as much copper sulfate as your volume of water will take. The rest will remain on the bottom undissolved. It works with or without acid.

    But I still prefer Dykem. Much better visualization.

    Leave a comment:


  • boslab
    replied
    You can get it from farm supplies too, used to harden hoofs, or treat hoof complaints im told.
    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Georgineer
    replied
    I've never tried it but my 1941 recipe book gives a solution of 8 ounces of copper sulphate in 1 pint of water - that's a UK pint of 20 fluid ounces, not a US pint of 16 fluid ounces - with a 'small quantity' of sulphuric acid, applied to a grease-free surface with a piece of clean rag.

    George

    Leave a comment:


  • cidrontmg
    replied
    I'm far off (Portugal), but copper sulfate is very easily bought and very cheap. Used in 1 kg plastic bags, about 4€, they're used 1st) for pools. About 1 kg to 50 m3 water. Algae kills them, and you have a very clean (and somewhat bluish) water for many months. Also 2nd) copper sulfate should spray vines, at least once/year. Same effect, their algae kills their vines, so you get better and more wine.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dunc
    replied
    Try a pool supply store - used as algicide. I recall a suggestion (one of the Workshop Practice Series perhaps) that a couple of drops of sulphuric acid (battery acid) improves the copper plating.

    Leave a comment:


  • M.Barry
    replied
    You can get copper sulfate in small (1 lb) to large (50 lb) containers at your local farmers Co-Op. It's used as a fungicide.
    M.Barry

    Leave a comment:


  • Ian B
    replied
    I'd have also gone with AB's 'battery acid & copper wire' route - it works for ferric chloride with HCl.

    Probably obvious, but the toolbit will have to be fairly well degreased to get an even plating of copper. The layer of copper that results almost looks transparent - all grinding marks still show through, which is probably what you're after.

    Ian

    Leave a comment:


  • lakeside53
    replied
    You don't need to make it. It's cheap and used for "root remover" in septic systems and drain pipes. Your local hardware store (McLendon's in the OP case - $16 for 2lb)) sells it. Look for the brands that is only copper sulphate - not the "foaming" type. I use it every year or so in my system.


    or.. you can just buy it online 200gm to 50lb...

    http://www.coppersulfatecrystals.com/for_sale.html
    Last edited by lakeside53; 01-02-2014, 07:34 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X