Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Circlip
    • Jun 2008

Just from a safety point, that no one has mentioned, if you go for the dissolved Copper in Sulphuric (Sulfuric) acid channel, Cu (Copper) + H2So4 (Sulph/furic) = CuSo4 (Copper Sulf/phate) + H2 (Hydrogen).

SO DO IT OUTSIDE, AWAY FROM KNACKERED FLAMES.

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

• drmico60
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Circlip View Post
      Just from a safety point, that no one has mentioned, if you go for the dissolved Copper in Sulphuric (Sulfuric) acid channel, Cu (Copper) + H2So4 (Sulph/furic) = CuSo4 (Copper Sulf/phate) + H2 (Hydrogen).
      SO DO IT OUTSIDE, AWAY FROM KNACKERED FLAMES.

Regards Ian.

Copper metal will not dissolve in sulphuric acid to produce hydrogen. Copper will only dissolve in sulphuric acid in the presence of an oxidising agent. Air will do but the reaction is very slow. Best way would be to heat a bunch of copper wire until it turns black. The black is copper oxide. Quench in sulphuric acid and the copper oxide will more or less instantly dissolve. Pull out the wire and reheat until it goes black again and repeat the process.

However, it is much easier just to order some copper sulphate on ebay.

Mike

Comment

• + or - Zero
        • Nov 2011

It's possibly worth mentioning that it's pretty easy to come up with rather deadly gas from some acid/sulfate combos. Nothing as advocated here in this thread so far is in that category (unless you are in an air tight room and have your nose in the jar, maybe).

But it is really easy to go get the wrong thing and die from it. If you want here's a bit about the wave of suicides in Japan back in 2008, using nothing but simple store bought sulfides and acids.

This has some graphic images, they didn't bother me and I don't think they are all that bad, but be warned if you want to read this;

It's just an overview and not inclusive --I only bring this up because I do some home brew anodizing and doing some really innocent seeming things that one might be tempted to experiment with or do, like mixing some of the solutions I use together could have real bad results (like thinking you'll just pour the waste in a bucket to carry away for disposal, or other easy but stupid mistakes).

Not playing safety police here, just wanted to point out that just because you can buy something innocuous in the store doesn't mean it can't be dangerous if used, intentionally or accidentally, in the wrong way.

On edit; I see I'm not the only person that thought it worth a mention (they type faster then me I guess), although it's a lot of stuff, not just copper and battery acid that can be harmful.

Zero.
        Last edited by + or - Zero; 01-03-2014, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• malbenbut
          • Nov 2005

Copper sulphate is usually applied to the item to be scribed an not the scribing tool.
          MBB

Comment

• Jaakko Fagerlund
            • Dec 2010

And one more supply channel for copper sulfate is pottery places that sell all the ingredients like glazings and colors etc.
            Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

• loose nut
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rickyb View Post
              If you want to avoid the acid, just dissolve some copper sulphate in distiller water and electroplate the copper on to your part. 1.5 to 6 volts and a decreased Patrick is all you need.
              That will take time, a copper sulphate solution will plate instantly on steel. Does not plate Stainless steel at all.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• old-biker-uk
                • Mar 2006

Loose Nut has it - quick dip in the pickle tank
                What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing.
                www.remark.me.uk

Comment

• Black Forest
                  • Jan 2010

We use copper sulphate for a foot dip for our sheep. We buy it at the local farmers Co-Op by the kilo. In the USA there is a product for horses called Thrush X. It is copper sulphate. It is used on the foot to kill thrush, a foot rot in horses feet.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• trackfodder
                    • Oct 2013

Additionally, if mixing concentrated sulfuric acid and water ALWAYS add the acid slowly to the water. The other way will result in spattering all over you and whatever county you are in. I would just get some battery acid and pour it into some ore water.

Comment

• metalmagpie
                      • Oct 2002

This thread is producing some interestingly vague and unfamiliar phrases. "decreased Patrick"? "ore water?"
                      I did find bulk copper sulfate at Home Depot. The smallest quantity cost $13. It was right on the shelf above the sulfuric acid which cost $9.

I have time. I will just put some sulfuric acid in a jar and add copper shavings until no more dissolve. I'm confident this will produce the desired strike plate on tool bits.

metalmagpie

Comment

• loose nut
                        • Sep 2006

Mixing copper bits or copper sulphate will give you the same effect, maybe how thick the plating is may be different??? It may take a bit of time for the acid to break the copper down, again????

Were the Copper sulphate and sulfuric acid marked as that or by some other product name.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                          • Apr 2009

Copper Sulphate is also known as bluestone.

Comment

• MichaelP
                            • Sep 2008

An older issue of Machinery's Handbook recommends dissolving copper sulfate in 4 oz. of distilled water (as much as it will take) followed by addition of 10 drops of sulfuric acid (of unspecified concentration).
                            Last edited by MichaelP; 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM.
                            Mike
                            WI/IL border, USA

Comment

• metalmagpie
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                              Were the Copper sulphate and sulfuric acid marked as that or by some other product name?
                              In the US they aren't sold in the big box hardware stores by name to my knowledge. If you want sulfuric (sulphuric) acid you buy "root killer". I don't remember what they sell copper sulfate as.

metalmagpie

Comment

• lakeside53
                                • Nov 2007

Sulfuric acid as root killer? I think you might have it backwards. Sulfuric is often labeled as copper pipe cleaner or battery acid.

In my local store the copper sulphate (one brand) has it in BIG letters across the product, and "root killer" smaller.
                                Last edited by lakeside53; 01-05-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X