• Show
Clear All

• trackfodder
    replied
    I meant MORE water. Sorry- missed it.

Leave a comment:

• DR
    replied
    Change to grinding wheels that grind cooler, like a big bucks CBN wheel.

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied
    Acid/copper bath will self plate onto steel but it won't stick very well. Especially if the steel contains chromium and/or nickel. You'll be able to wipe it off if it doesn't flake off as soon as you touch it to a grinder. I would set up a small alkaline plating bath with a D-cell battery. At least it will stick.

Oh yeah, and the part does have to be absolutely void of any oil including finger prints.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 01-05-2014, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    Sulfuric acid as root killer? I think you might have it backwards. Sulfuric is often labeled as copper pipe cleaner or battery acid.

In my local store the copper sulphate (one brand) has it in BIG letters across the product, and "root killer" smaller.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 01-05-2014, 08:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    Originally posted by loose nut View Post
    Were the Copper sulphate and sulfuric acid marked as that or by some other product name?
    In the US they aren't sold in the big box hardware stores by name to my knowledge. If you want sulfuric (sulphuric) acid you buy "root killer". I don't remember what they sell copper sulfate as.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    An older issue of Machinery's Handbook recommends dissolving copper sulfate in 4 oz. of distilled water (as much as it will take) followed by addition of 10 drops of sulfuric acid (of unspecified concentration).
    Last edited by MichaelP; 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Copper Sulphate is also known as bluestone.

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Mixing copper bits or copper sulphate will give you the same effect, maybe how thick the plating is may be different??? It may take a bit of time for the acid to break the copper down, again????

Were the Copper sulphate and sulfuric acid marked as that or by some other product name.

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    This thread is producing some interestingly vague and unfamiliar phrases. "decreased Patrick"? "ore water?"
    I did find bulk copper sulfate at Home Depot. The smallest quantity cost $13. It was right on the shelf above the sulfuric acid which cost $9.

I have time. I will just put some sulfuric acid in a jar and add copper shavings until no more dissolve. I'm confident this will produce the desired strike plate on tool bits.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• trackfodder
    replied
    Additionally, if mixing concentrated sulfuric acid and water ALWAYS add the acid slowly to the water. The other way will result in spattering all over you and whatever county you are in. I would just get some battery acid and pour it into some ore water.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    We use copper sulphate for a foot dip for our sheep. We buy it at the local farmers Co-Op by the kilo. In the USA there is a product for horses called Thrush X. It is copper sulphate. It is used on the foot to kill thrush, a foot rot in horses feet.

Leave a comment:

• old-biker-uk
    replied
    Loose Nut has it - quick dip in the pickle tank

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Originally posted by rickyb View Post
    If you want to avoid the acid, just dissolve some copper sulphate in distiller water and electroplate the copper on to your part. 1.5 to 6 volts and a decreased Patrick is all you need.
    That will take time, a copper sulphate solution will plate instantly on steel. Does not plate Stainless steel at all.

Leave a comment:

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    And one more supply channel for copper sulfate is pottery places that sell all the ingredients like glazings and colors etc.

Leave a comment:

• malbenbut
    replied
    Copper sulphate is usually applied to the item to be scribed an not the scribing tool.
    MBB

Leave a comment:

Working...
X