No announcement yet.

Stuck 14N Jacobs Chuck disassembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try to find an old stock repair kit with the loose bearings. Many more bearings in the old kit makes for a longer lasting chuck rebuild.

Comment

I don't think that the old stock repair kits fit the newer chucks with the cages surrounding the bearing balls.

One of The half nut threads are broken where they should not be!

Comment

Not if you crunched a tooth. The teeth on those jaws are very brittle.

JL................
        Originally posted by GEP View Post
        The jaws have to be at mid range open to press the chuck appart. Example chuck range 1/8-1/2 the jaws have to be set at 5/16 open or you will damage the chuck. Just soak it in 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% aceton and hopefully you will be able to move the jaws

Comment

The jaws threads or teeth were fine ----it was the threads on one of the half nuts that were chipped and that's the reason I couldn't get the chuck apart. some of those chips were stuck in the threads in there and jamming in the threads. Maybe the previous owner had a crash while drilling.

I soaked it for days and banged it on the wood work bench from several angles numerous times, trying to dislodge the chips inside.

I did take apart a couple others that were gritty and cleaned and lubed them. They work well and I learned a lot about drill chucks!

I would have opened the chuck jaws farther before I pressed it open if I could have moved them!

Comment

Originally posted by mikem View Post
            I don't think that the old stock repair kits fit the newer chucks with the cages surrounding the bearing balls.

One of The half nut threads are broken where they should not be!
            If you replace the half nuts with the old style, you can use the loose ball bearings.

IIRC, not only are the half nuts a different thickness for the "new and improved" captured bearing type kits, but they don't have the bearing loading ports ground in the sides. The older kits are less money and have more bearings. Look on Ebay, I've found great deals there.
            Last edited by flutedchamber; 01-07-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

have you tried using the old stock kit on a newer bearing before?

I like the old kits and the larger bearings....and the lower price!

Comment

I figured if it was jammed something crunched inside, weather it was the teeth on the jaws or the half nuts. Had it happen before. Those parts are really brittle and when your pressing the collar you don't have a feel for what is happening inside.

JL..................
                The jaws threads or teeth were fine ----it was the threads on one of the half nuts that were chipped and that's the reason I couldn't get the chuck apart. some of those chips were stuck in the threads in there and jamming in the threads. Maybe the previous owner had a crash while drilling.

I soaked it for days and banged it on the wood work bench from several angles numerous times, trying to dislodge the chips inside.

I did take apart a couple others that were gritty and cleaned and lubed them. They work well and I learned a lot about drill chucks!

I would have opened the chuck jaws farther before I pressed it open if I could have moved them!

Comment

have you tried using the old stock kit on a newer bearing before?

I like the old kits and the larger bearings....and the lower price!
                  As long as you replace the bearing races and balls as a unit, you can retrofit the old stock kit on a newer chuck.

Comment

Working...
                  X