Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are one shot lubes all there cracked up to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that's so then your oil reservoir needs scrubbing and the felt filters replaced. Consider adding another in-line filter after the pump. Flush out the lines with brake cleaner.

If the oil going in is clean, the pump gaskets are good, and the top is cleaned of swarf etc. before pulling the oil fill plug,. there's no way for the oil to get dirty and the metering units to block. All good theory of course; the operator is the variable.

Comment

I need to take the reservoir apart anyways and see what is going on. It took quite a few pulls up on the knob until it felt like it was pumping oil all the way through its stroke.

Comment

Mine I pull and hold for a few seconds until the pump fills; then it then goes down slowly. Probably a partially blocked filter in my case.

Comment

^^^^^^ That would probably work with this pump as well. I will see when I get in there.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
            Probably a partially blocked filter
            Are these filters serviceable on the Bijur pumps? I opened up my pump tonight and there was a bunch of nasty looking gelled up oil in it. I am sure that the felt filter on the bottom isn't happy. It looks like there is a ring that is staked on holding the felt in, the filter unit would also turn but wasn't threaded. I pulled a little while turning and it didn't come out. Do I pry off the bottom where it is staked? It there anything in there that is going to go flying across the room when I get it off?

Comment

The wire ring has an open end dig it out with a sharp pointy thing, pay attention to the dis assembly I usually clean the felt in acetone and a petroleum based product to clean the tank. Before putting the filter in I usually put really thin oil in the tank and pump the unit until the oil runs clear, reassemble the pump and prime it before connecting the feed line. FYI the standard Bijur pump generates about 60 PSI, I made an adapter to be able to pump out the lines using my porta power pump you just have to be careful, never had a line I couldn't open up

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                Are these filters serviceable on the Bijur pumps?

Yes. They will sell you the entire filter assy or parts. They have a $25 min order though. No problem if you need metering units also.

The metering units also have a tiny filter inside, but they cannot be cleaned - the internal check valve stop back-flushing.
                Last edited by lakeside53; 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckman View Post
                  The wire ring has an open end dig it out with a sharp pointy thing
                  Thanks, I took a better look and cleaned it off a little and saw that the clip comes out. Upon disassembly there was the piece of felt, a fine screen, then a course screen starting with the felt at the bottom. Is this the correct way they go? It seems to me like it would be backwards, nothing is going to pass through the felt and fine screen that the course one will catch. Am I missing something here?

Comment

Probably not. IIRC... That's how mine are assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                      ........... I opened up my pump tonight and there was a bunch of nasty looking gelled up oil in it. .......
                      Using different oils can create gels as the additives may not be conducive to each other.
                      Try to stay with the same way oil

Rich
                      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
                      X