X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdunmyer
    replied
    Doug,
    Here's the entire story: http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdu...t/sep13_01.jpg

And a pic of the governor:

and the linkage:

I removed the return spring from the pump speed control lever, and later added a switch to contact that Heim joint in the middle of the shot above. It's actuated if the speed control is wide-open, as it would be if the belt on the governor broke. The oil pressure switch bypass button also bypasses this switch during startup.

I forgot to mention, in case you don't know, those stove heating elements are 240 volt, so there's no imbalance.

Leave a comment:

• michigan doug
    replied
    Excellent! How did you achieve governor control of the throttle?

finest regards

doug

Leave a comment:

• jdunmyer
    replied
    Here's how we tested my 10Kw VW Diesel-powered genset:

That wire has red insulation, it's not red-hot. Note that the assembly is hung from 2 insulating boards for safety. There's a disconnect switch, voltmeter, and clamp-on ammeter in the pic, along with a photo-electric tachometer to check the speed droop.

Leave a comment:

• CarlByrns
    replied
    Originally posted by michigan doug View Post
    It has 2 duplex 120V receptacles, and a four prong 220V outlet. It also has a set of 8 amp 12v posts, which I have never used.
    FYI- generally you can't use the 12v output at the same time as the AC output. The breaker(s) will trip.

Leave a comment:

• michigan doug
    replied
    The "tone" of the engines changes for a second, but it never sags or sounds like it's lugging. RPMs and voltage are quite stable, you know, for a generator. governor working properly.

Of course, the engineers try to match the powerplant to the alternator, so you're not wasting horsepower with an overly large engine that never works hard, and neither are you wasting alterator power with a big oversized unit that the engine can't push to full capacity.

I suspect the engine could do more, but we'll never know since the alternator poops out first.

doug

doug

Leave a comment:

• hermetic
    replied
    If the engine does not display any grunt or slowing before the breaker goes I would suggest the governor is not opening the throttle to pick up the extra power needed for the extra load. I have a 2kva which I use for site lighting, and you can hear the engine tone change every time you add load to it. It slows a little then the governor picks it up and increases the power (opens the throttle) Check the governor is not stuck.
    Phil.

Leave a comment:

• jlevie
    replied
    each leg can carry 20 amps right?

And each electric heater only draws 10-11 amps. So the gennie will run two heaters all day long, but a third one slightly exceeds the 20 breaker on that leg and off she goes.
    Correct. Since the load is not greatly over a leg's current, it will take a little while for the breaker to trip.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    \
    Because I am not in any way knowing what is this "soup Nazi" you mention.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soup_Nazi

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied

you might be sorry you asked - then again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVqBzP0xdKk

Leave a comment:

• michigan doug
    replied
    each leg can carry 20 amps right?

And each electric heater only draws 10-11 amps. So the gennie will run two heaters all day long, but a third one slightly exceeds the 20 breaker on that leg and off she goes.

doug

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Yep, and the 20A breakers are rated LESS than the draw of the two heaters. How fast they open will depend on their operating time-current curve, and on how MUCH over 20A the two heaters are.

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Why don't you just shout out --- NEXT! like the soup Nazi... ?

Leave a comment:

• jlevie
    replied
    Yes, the 6.5 kw rating of the generator is the peak watts, not the run watts.
    In that case the genset is no more than 5kva (quite possibly 4.5kva continuous) and the rating is what it can momentarily supply for motor starting. Which in turn means that it will probably have a 20a breaker.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Thank you, pull ahead please......

Why don't you just shout out --- NEXT! like the soup Nazi... ?

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Eh....

240V x 30 = 7200W..... nowhere do they claim that.

If in fact they are UL, as they state all over the linked advert, then they will NOT have a 30A breaker on a 15A 120V outlet..... yeah, I know, they are re-rated 20A if they have the extra option slot on the outlet..... but the max for them is still 20A...

120 x 2 x 20 = 4800W add a hundred watts for the 12V outlet (8.3 x 12 = 99.6) and you are about there.

The problem is that while you are below the WATTAGE rating, you are ABOVE THE CURRENT RATING....

Thank you, pull ahead please......

Leave a comment:

• michigan doug
    replied
    The breaker on the generator power panel. That's what trips.

The heaters all check out fine on grid power. A clamp amp confirms that they draw 11-12 amps once started up. Their initial starting amps can be 15+ amps.

I plug them in one at a time.

All connecting cables are virtually new and known good and proper gauge for the amps.

Yes, the 6.5 kw rating of the generator is the peak watts, not the run watts.

The breaker (on the generator power panel) does not trip immediately, but after a minute or so.

This may very well be a problem of a few too many amps on one leg.

I'll have to hunt around for a few smaller loads, so I can get closer to the 20 amps per leg to test the top output.

thanks for the comments.

doug
    Last edited by michigan doug; 01-05-2014, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X