end mill best choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dian View Post
    well, my idea is to machine the slot in one go and have the keystock fit.
    It doesn't work that way. There are too many variables to guarantee that.

For one shot slotting use a key seat cutter or wheel cutter.

Comment

Hi,

All depends on what fit you want. If you don't need to be too fussy for fit, have at it. Hey, not everything needs to be +/-.0005". Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work out to perfection. And be aware that if you want that perfection, you will need to start undersized and mill out to the target dimension. Proper technique for desired results is all.

dalee
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
        well, my idea is to machine the slot in one go and have the keystock fit.
        You can machine the slot in one go and make a key to fit. Not much work involved in hacksawing a strip from 1/8" thick stock and filing to width.

Comment

Real men would use a cape chisel to cut the key seat and an RCH for measurement
          Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Attempting to mill a 1/8" slot with a 1/8" end mill is poor practice and will likely result in an oversize slot regardless of the end mill type. You need to use a smaller end mill, like a 3/32" and I would suggest a four flute for rigidity. HSS is much more flexible than carbide (a good thing) and will be less likely to break. The spindle speed should be around 4000 rpm (assuming mild steel) and it will take three or four steps to get to depth. Once there, offset the end mill .015" each direction and take a couple climb cuts around the slot, checking with a gauge block for width. I just did a video tutorial on a part that included a 1/8" keyway if you would like to see the result. It can be viewed by clicking here.

Tom
            Tom's Techniques

Comment

Luke55,

Attempting to mill a 1/8" slot with a 1/8" end will likely result in an oversize slot regardless of the end mill type. You'll need to use a smaller end mill, such as a 3/32" and I would suggest using a four flute for rigidity and obviously it will need to be center cutting if you intend to plunge. HSS is more flexible than carbide (a good thing) and will be much less likely to break. The spindle speed should be around 4000 rpm (assuming mild steel) and it will take three or four steps to get to depth. Once there, offset the end mill .015" each direction and take a couple climb cuts around the slot, checking with a gauge block for width and bump it out a thousandth or so at a time until the slot is to size. I just did a video tutorial on a part that included a 1/8" keyway. If you would like to see the result, it can be viewed by clicking here.

Tom
              Last edited by TGriffin; 01-06-2014, 08:33 PM.
              Tom's Techniques

Comment

Working...
              X