borletti bcd 1002 sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darryl View Post
    I have another roll of what I've been calling thread- it probably is, but it's heavier than the usual threads. I don't know if the machine can handle it, but I think that if I can thread it through the needle, it should be ok.
    Maybe yes and maybe no. The needle needs to be sized to the thread as well as the fabric. Even if the thread goes through the eye of the needle, if the needle is too small, one of two things will happen: the thread will catch and grab, then break, or the eye will wear excessively and the needle will break.

And as others have said, don't try to straighten a bent needle. Its just not worth it.
    Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Take the needle out of the machine, thread it with the heavy thread and check if the thread lies easily into the groove of the needle. If it doesn't, you probably need a larger needle.

Comment

Where else can you get a support group like this- it's the best!

So- an update: I shimmed the foot over, and now the needle goes right down the center of the hole. In my infinite wisdom (not) I changed to the heavier thread at the same time. As you guys have alluded to, it doesn't work- just makes a mess of the thread. I got about two inches of stitching out of it, but only with the needle threaded from the wrong side. I should have tested it with the original thread after moving the foot over, but I didn't. The thread does not lay in the groove very well, so even though it doesn't look much thicker, it probably is too thick. I'll go back to the original thread and try that again.

In the meantime, both the belt and the roller tire for the bobbin winder have broken- nothing I've done, just age. What a pain this is becoming
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Another update- ready for this? The spindle that carries the needle was in backwards! I'm surprised at this because the machine came from an Italian tailor who also repaired and sold these machines for a living. My sister got it from him and I inherited it when she passed. I had assumed that she used it, but it never would have worked for her like this.

I turned the spindle 180 degrees, put the needle in the way it looks like it should go, (groove to the right in this case), checked the position of the foot- removed the shim as it doesn't need it now that the spindle is in right. It sews!

Maybe unusual, but the thread goes in the right side of the needle on this machine. When I turned the spindle around, I had to guess at the height to clamp it at, since there's no mechanical provision to force it to the correct height. I used the end of the discoloration on the exposed part as a guide to where it should retract to. Maybe I got it right, maybe it's close enough, but it's working.

My clue came from the pictures I found on the net. All showed the needle clamp facing inwards, to the right. I guess I thought that it was correct as it was, figuring that this maybe was an earlier model and this is how it was supposed to be.

All through the testing, the thread from the bobbin never tangled or got screwed up. I did find the screw that adjusts tension on the bobbin- now I can play with that if need be. Maybe I'll try the heavier thread again now that the machine is working properly-

Yup, there she goes- I have a working machine! Thank you gents for bearing with me on this. Maybe I will start making aprons- shop aprons, that is!
          Last edited by darryl; 01-08-2014, 02:45 AM.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
            Another update- ready for this? The spindle that carries the needle was in backwards! I'm surprised at this because the machine came from an Italian tailor who also repaired and sold these machines for a living. My sister got it from him and I inherited it when she passed. I had assumed that she used it, but it never would have worked for her like this.

I turned the spindle 180 degrees, put the needle in the way it looks like it should go, (groove to the right in this case), checked the position of the foot- removed the shim as it doesn't need it now that the spindle is in right. It sews!

Maybe unusual, but the thread goes in the right side of the needle on this machine. When I turned the spindle around, I had to guess at the height to clamp it at, since there's no mechanical provision to force it to the correct height. I used the end of the discoloration on the exposed part as a guide to where it should retract to. Maybe I got it right, maybe it's close enough, but it's working.

My clue came from the pictures I found on the net. All showed the needle clamp facing inwards, to the right. I guess I thought that it was correct as it was, figuring that this maybe was an earlier model and this is how it was supposed to be.

All through the testing, the thread from the bobbin never tangled or got screwed up. I did find the screw that adjusts tension on the bobbin- now I can play with that if need be. Maybe I'll try the heavier thread again now that the machine is working properly-

Yup, there she goes- I have a working machine! Thank you gents for bearing with me on this. Maybe I will start making aprons- shop aprons, that is!
            That's great Darryl! Now I think as a little thank you to all of us that tried to help, you should sew us all some thong underwear with our initials embroidered on the front! BF for me.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Would you like that in asbestos cloth or rubberized fabric?

Comment

Darryl,
                Be very careful about adjusting the tension on the bobbin holder. IIRC, the instructions that I read many years ago said that there is seldom a need to adjust that tension, do all of your adjusting on the top mechanism.

Watch your stitches to see if the tension is correct: the "crossover" between top and bottom threads should be in the center of your material, not on top or on bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunmyer View Post
                  Darryl,
                  Be very careful about adjusting the tension on the bobbin holder. IIRC, the instructions that I read many years ago said that there is seldom a need to adjust that tension, do all of your adjusting on the top mechanism.

Watch your stitches to see if the tension is correct: the "crossover" between top and bottom threads should be in the center of your material, not on top or on bottom.
                  As I think I mentioned earlier, the best way I've found to get this right is to sew on an index card. Put the stitch length long so it doesn't shred the card, and it should sew nicely, with all centering due to the machine setting, and not to luck or fabric drag.

Comment

I actually backed off the screw about 1/4 turn to suit the slightly thicker thread. Seems to work- both sides show just a single thread on the surface, no loops.

Comment

Working...
                    X