Floaters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floaters.

On Boxing Day i was watching television and I thought a spiders web had fallen across my face. A visit to emergency( and with other appointments pending ) gave the diagnosis that my right eye had become victim to the problem of ' Floaters ' This is a most annoying problem, especially as my right is my "good " eye. Have any of you had this happen? All advice is welcomed. regards David Powell.

Had small ones for years. Had a big one appear a couple of years ago during an unnecessary medical procedure. I was told if it gets really bad, they can operate, suck out the fluid (and floaters) in the eye, and replace the fluid. Otherwise, you sort of get used to it.

Ken

Comment

I had 'floaters' appear after a cataract removal. Very annoying as nothing could be done about it. They have gradually diminished with time.
      When the fruit flies, or gnats are around, I can't tell if it's the floaters or the flies, LOL.

Chuck

Comment

A bit younger than some of you folks... and I have floaters in my left eye. Have since the Great Concussion Of 2007. They tell me it's not related... but they also told me that this jar of pills would make me a better person. Really all it did was turn me from a raging asshole into a cold calculating asshole. The friends and family voted and I went off of them... The raging was more fun to be around they said.

Comment

I have had floaters for some time. Previously they just looked like a bit of dust floating in the air on a bright sunny day.
          Then a couple of years ago I started to get bigger ones and had flashes of light in my eyes when it was dark.
          I had a thorough eye examination and it was determined that this was a "normal" occurrence when you get older.
          I was checked again about 6 months later and then again with my regular checkup last fall.
          I was told that my eyes are quit healthy and not to worry unless I start seeing the light flashes in the daylight.
          The floaters are still there but I hardly notice them any more and I can't remember seeing the flashes for a while now.
          Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Check out "Posterior Vitreous Detachment". I had such an event several years ago, and though I've had floaters as long as I can remember, they got worse in the right eye that had the PVD.

The "spider web" is a classic symptom, but I first noticed "flashing lights" with certain eye movement while laying in bed in the dark.

You need looking at by an opthamologist, sooner better than later, to be sure that it isn't a more serious retinal detachment. I got a serious chewing by my eye doctor for not coming in immediately.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I get a few in either eye occasionally, often after getting up quickly from a prone position. Never found them to be a problem and the eye doctor has checked me out yearly since they started without noticing any problems. Means I can pretend I'm in The Matrix occasionally.

Comment

I have lots of them. One was so persistent I gave it a name. They morph but don't go away.

Comment

My favorite is mistaking it for a fly and trying to swat it. Took 3 swings and 2 full spins to realize what it was.

Comment

As it was explained to me by an ophthalmologist, for younger folks they are the residual material left over when the front of the eyeball was formed prior to birth. Supposedly everyone has floaters normally they are not part of one's vision. Weston's comment and link about PVD is useful. A friend of mine got clocked by a jack handle when he was working on a piece of farm equipment. He ended up with a floater large enough to blur his vision in one eye. Whether it was a PVD event or just an existing one that got pushed into the vision path is unknown. Victims of optic neuritis (ON) have large number of floaters in their eyes making looking in their eyes a bit like peering at the liquid filled little dioramas depicting a rural snowfall scene when you shake them. ON is common in people suffering from MS (multiple sclerosis). My older brother has MS, he is also a physician (tot doc), he let me look in his eye many years ago as he had large numbers of floaters. He wasn't diagnosed with MS until a dozen or so years later. Thankfully his MS is well controlled with medication and has not progressed. Having an eye doctor look at that would be a good thing.

gordon

Comment

I'm 53 and have them in both eyes for 30 years or so. My eye doctors say nothing can be done about them. They are still annoying. Does anyone know if there is in fact a treatment?

Comment

Yep, I've had them (or something very similar) for abut 10 years since my mid-40s. Mine last about 20 minutes at a time then go away. The best way I could describe them was like watching a snake printed with a barcode wiggling across a heavily cracked mirror. Yeah, weird I know.

Several Hospital Ophthalmology Dept visits later I was diagnosed with 'Age-related Macular Separation' - pretty much exactly the same thing that Weston described under a diiferent name.
                        Got quite worried as I was only 43-44. But........ at my yearly eye-tests I have discussed this at some length with my experienced Optometrist who says he can see no trace of macular seperation and is more of the opinion that they are just occular migraines and something far less to worry about.

Comment

I've had them off and on for years. I have been told that "sometimes" they are due to a vitamin deficiency, mainly B12. Could be BS, I don't know.

Comment

Iv'e had "floaters" since can't remember when, never bothered me much tho. After cataract surgery on both eyes, I began to experience a blurring of my vision. A visit to the opthomologist set things right.He told me that about 40% of cataract patients experience what he termed a so called thickening of the lens capsule. A 5 min treatment with a laser popped holes in the lining and everything perfect since.BOb.

Comment

I had one of those floaters like the one described occur a few years ago, quite suddenly. One day I didn't have it, and the next I did. It looked as if a bug had died on my windshield. The doctor reasssured me that this is normal at a certain age, and I have gotten used to it. It's still there, but the good news is that over time it has become less obvious, and lightened a little. My eye doctor says there's evidence that lutein supplements might help forestall macular degeneration and cataracts, and recommends that we take some.

Comment

Working...
                              X