So what did happen to the bbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what did happen to the bbs

I'm certainly curious now as to what actually happened to this bbs this past weekend. I know the date thing got out of whack, but the obvious question is why? Is there an answer- I realize that sometimes there just isn't, except to say that it's back working again. Two things I recognize from this, one, some of us are addicted to this bbs and it's populace, and rightly so since we're such a cool bunch of dudes, and secondly, someone had to have gone to a bunch of trouble to restore it (Neil?) Here's my appreciation for getting it back in operation, I'm sure that goes for a lot of us.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I'm largely guessing based on what I know about how this BBS works. This BBS appears to be running INFOPOP UBBS Classic. Villagepress.com is registered with register.com or affiliate in NYC. They also provide hosting solutions and it is likely that they are hosting this site. The one thing I can't tell is who actually looks after the day to day running of the servers but it is most likely someone associated with register.com.

When the server went TU it needed to be reset and someone simply didn't get the date right which gibbled the BBS. As far as sorting things out it involved calling the people who administer the servers and speaking to the IT admin people. Since it is likely hosted on the East Coast that would explain why it didn't get fixed date wise until Tuesday AM as I didn't notify Niel about the second wrong date problem until Monday afternoon Pacific time.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 04-22-2004).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Late Sunday night, there was a loss of power at our webserver. Monday morning, the bbs was scrambled from the loss of the date information. The situation wasn't immediately noticed until a number of you emailed us with the information.

Thanks!

Comment

So in other words, that virus I sent in wasn't the cause. (just kidding). I do appreciate having this bbs, and I admit to being one of the addicted. Thanks again.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I enjoy this bb. I don't do a lot of posting but do a lot of reading of it. You might say that I an addicted to this board.
          Thanks Neil.
          Charlie
          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

I noticed that the BBS was down again this weekend...what was the problem this time?

TMT

Comment

No idea but it's not doing my withdrawal symptoms any good

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I actually had to watch a movie it got so bad. We watched Michael Crichton's Timeline. Excellent book and excellent movie. The attention to detail and the historical accuracy was truly impressive. They actually had at least three trebuchets that really worked. Very cool.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I called in sick to work so I could stay home and get my fix...
                  David from jax
                  A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X