Shopwork and extreme weather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopwork and extreme weather.

We just had a couple of weeks of 40plus (celcuis) and it made working on machines difficult at times as everything was hot to touch if tools or parts were left in the sun for any length of time..

I was curious to find out how the members in the US and Canada have been fairing with the cold they have had to endure.
    Michael

My shop was at 70f today with a nice oak fire going.
    Andy

Comment

I find it much easier to heat the shop than cool it. I use either a propane or an electric space heater in the shop when it gets too cold. In the heat of summer? I hole up in my air conditioned bedroom.
      Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Been toying with the idea of adding an Indirect Evaporative Cooler.

Here is a picture of a Indirect / Direct Evaporative Cooler which combines the principals of both

The combined Indirect / Direct units can see greater then 30 deg F drop but I'm hoping for a 15 deg drop across just an Indirect unit and just used recycled air from the interior

Comment

Quartz lamps over the machines we use often,vinyl strap door infront of the open shop bay door in back.But it only got down to 15*F last week.

Cooling is a bigger problem,I'm looking into a Propane water chiller for that.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Today is the first day above zero in quite a long time. No records broke as in 1978 (6 weeks below..far below zero) but cold nevertheless. My shop is heated with a hanging natural gas heater but when it is as cold as it has been I'm in a survival mode..no unnecessary activity unless its work or getting the car started to go to the store.

Comment

I'd have to point and say wussie here
              40 Celsius is nice and warm, we got to 124 Fahrenheit or 51 in your Celsius here last summer
              and yes, you do learn early on to keep your tool in the shade.

Got to 68 here today.
              Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin View Post
                Been toying with the idea of adding an Indirect Evaporative Cooler.
                Run the inside side with a radiator to keep indoor humidity down? I bet some interesting stuff can grow in that water given plenty of air, water, and perhaps some light.

Comment

Originally posted by vincemulhollon View Post
                  Run the inside side with a radiator to keep indoor humidity down? I bet some interesting stuff can grow in that water given plenty of air, water, and perhaps some light.
                  I've seen them in use before - more like a series of 1" aluminum tubes with fire hose material over them the air passes through. The chilled water from the swamp grass evaporative cooler in the basin is then dripped over the fire hose material to cool the air inside the aluminum tubes.

And yes the whole thing will deteriorate rapidly if you don't have 1 of these

Comment

My shop is a 3 car garage with one partician so I don't need to keep the entire area warm. Keep the entire place above freezing all the time. Garage is tight and well insulated so I'm always comfortable. I heat the place with 2 ventless wall heaters fired with natural gas plus a 240 volt electric heater plus a small 120 volt portable electric heater.

Been doing it that way for 15 years.

I still can park a Ford Taurus and Ranger PU inside. Nice to keep them thawed out and dry in the winter.

I think I heat all that space for a $1 or $2 a day. Probably more when sub-zero but that is rare in my area.

Last year I bought a 10,000 BTU window AC that cools the whole shop.
                    Jim
                    Last edited by outback; 01-12-2014, 10:51 AM.
                    So much to learn, so little time

Comment

Earlier in the week it got down to -25c/-13F, the wind chill hit -40c/-40F, so a bit on the cool side. My shop,16' x 21' is heated with one of those "contractor" heaters, about a 1'cube 240 volts, and it will keep it up to 33c/90F if I wanted but is normally kept on the minimum 5c/40F and bumped up to 13c/55F when I work out there. It would cost to much to heat otherwise.

Stays cool in the summer, even on the hot days but on some days the humidity makes it miserable. I put in a de-humidfier.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Shop's in the basement. With the boiler and the hot water pipes to radiators.... The colder it is out, the warmer the shop is.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

In Scotland and the uk in general we dream of such hot weather.Now when it's feezing outside it's costly to heat the house never mind the shop, LOL .Anyway have some nice warm fun in the shop jealous old Al. Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Well. We recently had a spate of minus zero F. days here in the midwest.
                            The upside is you get a lot of work done when you can't remove your hands from the cold metal.

Comment

I also have my shop in the walk in basement. Have woodstove in there with a good supply of dry hardwood ,which helps to heat the living quarters above, and the shop is always nice to work in, actually "T" shirt temps.
                              Our temp here for 2 days was down to -39F with a -46F chill factor.
                              At those temps no one goes out much anyway, so it is always comfortable to work/tinker in.

Comment

Working...
                              X