Looked at a mill today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looked at a mill today!

Put in a offer of $800 for a bridgeport clone. Figure any mill is better than none for now. It has surprisingly tight ways on the X travel compared to most I have looked at. Has power downfeed but no power X which I used in the offer of 800 saying the extra 200 would be for getting a power unit. Ran nice and quiet and smooth. He has been using it to mill cummins heads. One shot lube. Kind of neglected but nothing looked to bad. Something to use until I find a nice one some day. Who know it might turn out to be a very nice unit.

I believe it is a maxmill or something like that. I am 6'4" and the collet bar top was about level with the top of my head or so.

He said he has to get a bigger mill to replace it so now that I gave him an offer he is going to watch for a bigger one for himself and let me know when he found one and ready to make the deal. I am in no big hurry because the room I made for a mill is full of ford 6.0 parts right now anyhow.

And whats the word on good affordable 3 phase converters that aren't "bad for the motor" and whatnot?
    Andy

Originally posted by vpt View Post
    Put in a offer of $800 for a bridgeport clone. Figure any mill is better than none for now. It has surprisingly tight ways on the X travel compared to most I have looked at. Has power downfeed but no power X which I used in the offer of 800 saying the extra 200 would be for getting a power unit. Ran nice and quiet and smooth. He has been using it to mill cummins heads. One shot lube. Kind of neglected but nothing looked to bad. Something to use until I find a nice one some day. Who know it might turn out to be a very nice unit.

I believe it is a maxmill or something like that. I am 6'4" and the collet bar top was about level with the top of my head or so.

He said he has to get a bigger mill to replace it so now that I gave him an offer he is going to watch for a bigger one for himself and let me know when he found one and ready to make the deal. I am in no big hurry because the room I made for a mill is full of ford 6.0 parts right now anyhow.

And whats the word on good affordable 3 phase converters that aren't "bad for the motor" and whatnot?
    Hope you get it. Are you sure its 3 phase? I put a phase convertor and idler motor on my lathe, doing it over today I'd buy a VFD that will take single phase input and output the 3 phase you need. Most of those that take single phase input are de-rated as far as output vs 3 phase input.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Sounds good Andy, hope the deal comes through for you!!

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
        Hope you get it. Are you sure its 3 phase? I put a phase convertor and idler motor on my lathe, doing it over today I'd buy a VFD that will take single phase input and output the 3 phase you need. Most of those that take single phase input are de-rated as far as output vs 3 phase input.
        Yeah we talked about the 3 phase for awhile. Whats the "one to get" best bang for the buck VFD now days?
        Andy

Comment

I've had good luck here..... www.dealerselectric.com ( no affiliation )
          Toolznthings

Comment

Originally posted by TOOLZNTHINGS View Post
            I've had good luck here..... www.dealerselectric.com ( no affiliation )

I thought VFD's were just the wall unit? Why do they include a motor with theirs? For smoothing or something?

Edit, I see the vfd's now. lol

I see they also list more then a few different brands, any input on whats better than the next? User friendly ones?
            Last edited by vpt; 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM.
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
              ......User friendly ones?
              Hah! You can download manuals on the dealers electric site. Read a couple and then decide.
              "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

I've got my mill on about an 8" riser, puts the work height up so there isn't as much stooping over so it's easier on the back. You can get lost in the project, and don't realize how long you stood there until the next day...
                I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

It is a Ramill not a maxmill like I thought earlier. I looked at the name and tried real hard to remember it but obviously that didn't happen till I saw the name again while searching power feeds.

A riser is a good idea. Would the solid patio type blocks be alright to use to raise the whole mill up off the floor like 4" or so?
                  Andy

Comment

I bought a Teco for my BRPT 220 single into 220 3 phase, best investment ever, went to Radio Shack and bought a small black plastic box about 1X2X3 , a small pot., and I had 2 mini toggle switches then with some 20 gauge wire , some instant glue and a couple of holes , I had a control box for the VFD. I forgot to add I mounted the VFD right where the reversing switch would go.
                    Last edited by duckman; 01-15-2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

The one Teco in the link (3hp unit) I believe $214 or so has the adjustable knob on the front. I assume for speed control? Likes like the kind of affordable I can handle. lol
                      Andy

Comment

I use the Teco units and set up the forward and reverse switch on the mill to signal the VFD for FWD/REV. I also added a Potentiometer at the mill and control the motor speed as I work. It's great !
                        Toolznthings

Comment

I was thinking of mounting something like the vfd in the link below in the factory fwd/rev switch spot. Use it directly to control the motor.

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=4710
                          Andy

Comment

That should work, too. Mines a little larger and I mounted it[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] on wall with a disconnect switch to turn off all power supply to VFD when not using mill.
                            Toolznthings

Comment

Hi,
                              Another thought : do not install any switch or set up between VFD out and input to your motor that would disconnect the drive from the motor under load. It could destroy the drive.
                              Toolznthings

Comment

Working...
                              X