Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSM stuff in St. louis??

So just wondering:

I am working in St. Louis MO through the end of next week. I may (not sure yet) have a bit of free time over the weekend or an evening or two. Just curious if there are any "must see" things that would appeal to us HSM types.

I have done a bit of other generic sightseeing around town during past visits, just thought I'd see if there are any hidden gems I ought to try to see.

-Al

Dunno your interests....

One place is a bit out of the way, the Transportation Museum... it's outside of town in a suburb out past I-270. Worth the visit, although it's been a few years since I was there last. Trains, locomotives, but some other things also.

No interesting tool & junk dealers in town that I am aware of, but there is one I have not been to in Alton, again nearby but well out of town.

As far as I know, there isn't anything specific that is HSM or tech type oriented. Industry is generally in the last stages of the process of picking up and leaving town, although there are exceptions.

If you have free time and access to transport this weekend, check CL and the tag sales (estate sales.net). We do from time to time have very good tool tag sales..... I make a point of going to anything that looks interesting, and have outfitted the shop that way. No idea yet, but there should be listings up tomorrow.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Shapiro's is an interesting place. Not the best neighborhood but once you're in the gate it's fine.
      The most interesting stuff is in the basement, haven't been there for awhile but that would make no difference as things were always changing.
      Here's a link to their site but it shows the new metals they stock not the stuff downstairs.
      http://shapirosupply.com/ Click on the shop tour
      Sam runs the place, his dad Stan owns it, but whoever meets you at the door can help.
      THANX RICH
      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Industrial Machine Sales in Alton mentioned by J Tiers is worth a wander around especially if you are looking for some tooling. Their prices are used commercial so no bargains. This link has their info:
        http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tld/4289030772.html
        "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

World famous Fast Eddies Bon Air is across the street from Industrial Machine sales. Good eats and cold beer!

The Anheuser Busch brewery tour is highly recommended and free. Long tour thru the brewery , Lots of machinery there!
          Last edited by daveo; 01-16-2014, 09:24 AM.
          Feel free to put me on ignore....

Comment

Originally posted by v860rich View Post
            Shapiro's is an interesting place. Not the best neighborhood but once you're in the gate it's fine.
            The most interesting stuff is in the basement, haven't been there for awhile but that would make no difference as things were always changing.
            Here's a link to their site but it shows the new metals they stock not the stuff downstairs.
            http://shapirosupply.com/ Click on the shop tour
            Sam runs the place, his dad Stan owns it, but whoever meets you at the door can help.
            THANX RICH
            +1 on Shapiro's. They usually have some interesting stuff scattered about.
            Nice bunch of people too.

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower View Post
              +1 on Shapiro's. They usually have some interesting stuff scattered about.
              Nice bunch of people too.
              .... but $5.00 per cut!!!
              "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Originally posted by jep24601 View Post
                .... but $5.00 per cut!!!
                There are ways around that.... Talk to Sam.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Thanks very much for the leads. Still up in the air how much free time I will have, but we shall see. I do have a car to get around, so mobility is not too much of an issue. The Transportation museum is something I'd enjoy. I gotta be careful with tag/estate sales. I'm out here to earn money, and you all know what happens at those sales...

Thanks guys!
                  -Al

Comment

Working...
                  X