What size rotary table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size rotary table?

I've got a Wells Index 747 knee mill and thinking about buying a rotary table. What would be a good size for this mill? I would like a horizontal/vertical. Any specific links to good deals?
    Thanks

I'm not all that familiar with your machine, but it looks similar in size to a Bridgeport. I have both an 8" and a 15" rotary table for my Bridgeport. The 8" one gets used far more often than the 15" one simply because I can lift it onto the table without a hoist. I'm guessing the 15" one weighs around 150 lbs. (maybe more, I've never tried to weigh it) while the 8" one is closer to 40 lbs. It's best to get one that can be used both vertically or horizontally. My 8" one is a horizontal only. I have to bolt it to an angle plate to use it on the vertical. One that had both the vertical and horizontal capabilities would weigh more, but it certainly should be able to be put in place without any mechanical help.

I've considered making a large adaptor plate for the smaller table to increase the size of the work it will hold. Right now I either clamp the work directly to the table or bolt an 8" chuck to the table and hold the work in the chuck.

Comment

How strong are you and what will you use it for.

6" OK
      8" bloody heavy (I use one on my RF-45 bench top mill just fine)
      10 up probably needs a crane and may be to big.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

The GRIZZLY horizontal/vertical rotary tables are a pretty good bang for the buck.
        I have the 6" setup with dividing plates and tailstock, because I have a smaller MILLRITE mill, and I love it.
        I can't report any problems with it so far.
        Here's a link to the 8" model.
        8" GRIZZLY Rotary Table

Comment

If you are just gunna mount a chuck to it,
          get one close to the size of your chuck.
          If you are going to use it as a face plate and clamp
          the work to it with strap clamps, get a larger one.
          Strap clamps eat up room in a hurry.
          A work around is a smaller rotary table and use a larger
          round fixture plate to put on top of it to accomadate
          your use of clamps.
          I gave an 18" Gorton R/T and it allows good use of clamps
          and offset setups. The 15" Bridgeport table is nice in that
          it is lighter in weight and a similar size Troyke.
          Vertex seems to make quality smaller import R/Ts.
          I have a small 7" Gulliege Engineering R/T for my
          Clausing 8520 mill, and it is a real gem.

-_Doozer
          DZER

Comment

I've been using a 12" vert/horiz on my Millrite for years. It's big enough to mount a 4" vise on, but not so big that I can't "muscle" it around when I need to.
            I keep it on a roll-around shop cart. I just wheel it over to the mill, & lower the table to match the height & slide it over. (I usually put a piece of tyvek under it to cut down on scratching)
            It's about as big as I'd want to go on that size mill.

John

Comment

I had a 12 inch.... spent most of it's time in a place where I couldn't get my crane to it, and at 280lb, there it stayed.

Comment

I'm at a point where changing my 6" 3-jaw and 8" 4-jaw is a true task. My 10" 4-jaw is lighter than either. I can't imagine toting around and mounting a 90 pound or more RT to a mill table. I'd sure make use of a crane. No doubt about that. Even so, I'd go with an 8" RT for most of stuff I do.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a Bridgeport sized mill with 9" x 48" table. I know what you mean about the weight, since the vice that came with the mill weighs 140 lbs. I wanted to make sure that I bought one 'big enough' that I didn't regret it later wishing I had a larger one. I've been thinking about a 10" or 12".

Comment

DZER

Comment

I like my 8" horiz/vert. from Wholesale Tools. The quality is sufficient and the price is right.

Comment

How does one create a new thread?

Comment

I was just wondering if anybody remembers the hilarious Warner and Swasey calanders from the war years? I used to go to Reda Pump on Saturdays with my Dad. They were cartoons of things like vertical mills with the carriage supported by "hands" and the "face" had a mill for a nose. They were caractures of animal-like machines.
                          If there is a link, I would love to see it.

Comment

hi trackfodder
                            Scroll to the bottom of this page:
                            http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forums/3-General
                            and click on the + Post New Thread button.

Comment

Originally posted by trackfodder View Post
                              Or the "Post New Thread" button near the top of the page of each topic index (General, Home Shop Welding, etc.)
                              Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X