dumbell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumbell

Could be dumbass- but we'll see. I picked up an 8 lb dumbell the other day. It is cast as one piece, handle and two ends. The handle is basically round, so I'm going to cut it in half and chuck it. It will either machine ok, or it will be a nightmare of hard inclusions and cutter-breakers. If all goes well the pieces could become screw-on backplates for my lathe.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I do know with the plastic coated ones, whats inside might not be metal.
    From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Comment

Your cutting tools will love you if you go over it with an angle grinder first taking off any crusty stuff and especially raised lettering.

Comment

I wouldn't have brought this home if I was unsure of the composition. I've been bit by the plastic covered 'mystery weight' thing before- thinking that it was cast when it actually turned out to be concrete or something.

I was concerned about this being a poor material full of pits and sand or whatever, but just from the look of the material inside (I cut it in half to look at the metal) it seems clean and decent. Of course, turning it will tell the tale.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Just took a load of scrap to the recycler (big old scrapyard older than I am) they wouldn't accept cast window weights - said too much lead. Anybody know anything?

Comment

I threw out a weight set once because no one wanted it. Should have saw the garbage guy trying to dump that garbage can into the truck!
            Andy

Comment

Lol!! Now that is funny Andy, been involved in a couple of those shenanigans too! Lol

Comment

I used a 10 lb cast weight for everyone of my backplates. For the. 8inch and the 6
                Inch, 3 and the4 jaws. They have been working for years and thousands of parts without any issues
                Use a carbide cutter and turn as slow as possible. Cast is VERY dirty . The new
                Weights are cast with spokes and won't work for this purpose.
                Last edited by ahidley; 01-17-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Yes, very dirty to turn but the metal in the 3 or 4 weights I have repurposed has always looked clean and uniform once the skin was off.

Comment

I was warned to expect absolute dirty casting material with all sorts of crud inside. When I turned the two I did , they turned out to be really nice throughout. I kept all the small ones my son doesn't want or need them so if I need any more I have stock, so maybe I was just lucky .Mine did not have a plastic coating just paint,The plastic ones as far as I know come empty and you fill them with cement or sand.My experience was very positive that's all I can say have fun safely Alistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Cast weights can be very dirty apparently I,m sorry I don,t know enough about it all. There was a story around a few years back when a sparky went to attach a flashing light to the counter weight of a forklift basically the the drill bit melted and the drill it self sort of exploded. The reason being it wasn't cast iron but a derivative of Q-metal that has depleted Uranium in it just being doing a search to find the article with no luck maybe some one knows more
                      Cheers Kiwi

Comment

I always thought the inside of a dumbbell was Plutonium...you know, like a bowling ball.
                        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I sent fifty window weights to the scrapyard last year, they took them and I got paid. They did test them before dumping them, They turned out to be high grade cast iron.
                          Dan.

Comment

Cast iron window weights can be easy to machine and I have made piston rings from one but most have extremely hard places that merely rub off carbide tools

Comment

I tried to drill through a dumbell once, as I was planning to use it for a slide-handle-hammer.
                              My drill bits wouldn't even bite into that 'mysterium'.
                              I scrapped the idea, and just turned a piece of 1018 instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X