Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

_ Another Mill Head light by LED's (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _ Another Mill Head light by LED's (pics)

The lighting in my basement sucks, ceiling is only 6'8" so the light will not spread and seeing at the mill is tough (right now im using a magnetic LED, want something better).
    Been wanting to get a "donut ring" of lights around the quill and seeing a post in the Tools thread got me motivated.
    Just bought a set of LED Car Strip lights, 4 strips - 9" long (each). In a separate project i added a cordless screw guns motor to raise and lower the head and used a computers power supply for the power source so i had 12volts handy for these LEDs.

After creating this thread, i had a change of mind and decided to add the LEDs to bar stock instead of the "donut ring" idea. One of the comments (by jhe.1973) was to mount the LEDs on arms so that they where adjustable, i liked the adjustable part of that and ran with it.

Took a piece of 1/2" aluminum bar stock, 11" long, milled a 1/4 notch down the middle, pressed in the LED strip and then tossed some tie-ties around them. The ends of the bar stock sits in some mounts that have "thumb screws", crack the screw loose and the lights can angle a bit. Over all i wanted something which would be permanent, not in my way and give better light.

Right now the only snag i can see is the back light. I wanted to mount it as far away from the spindle to get the best angle to the work peice.... after getting it mounted and then wiring it up, i realized that tilting the mill head might cause a problem with the length of wire. The back light is mounted to the head stocks "saddle" not the head stock itself. When mounting everything i was taking notice to have access to the collier bolts, but might have goofed with that back one... time will tell if a design change will be needed. Over all it made a huge difference, im happy with the results.

Anyway, heres some pics... note, the lights are white (not blue)... new camra and I still have to “dial it in”.
    All thoughts are welcome.
    More Info: http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com/m...-of-head-stock

_
    Last edited by iMisspell; 01-19-2014, 11:03 PM.
    ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
    http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Nicely done.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

It's too bad the color is so BLUE. If it was a white to even a bit of yellow it sure would be nice.
      That mounting looks great, but would be difficult to do on a Bridgeport.
      ...lew...

Comment

Why did you use Black Lights on your mill?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I know you guys are used to only looking at picture books, but you should read some of the text.

Originally posted by iMisspell View Post
          ... note, the lights are white (not blue)... new camra and I still have to “dial it in”._

Comment

That is a nice clean build.

Having the 12V supply handy makes this particular design easier.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
              I know you guys are used to only looking at picture books, but you should read some of the text.
              Hey Rich, men from Long Island aren't allowed to hammer on the other members here!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

looks really good and lovely fixtures for them too.

I'm really curious about the PC power supply and motorised head raising whatsit you mentioned - I'm thinking about doing the same for the table on my drill press with a car window motor. Can you provide any more details or pics please?

Comment

Hi Black Forest
                  I'm sure I'll get hammered back, in the meantime I'll put my hammer away.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                    Funny... when i first got into the trade i was looking at a print and it called out for acouple different surface finishes, i asked my mentor; what about all the other machined surfaces that are not "labeled" ??? he said, you have to look at more then the picture, then words in the bottom block are there for a reason

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                    ... Can you provide any more details or pics please?
                    Sure... I have alittle work to do on it today and then plan on videoing it alittle to show a guy at work (who gave me the cordless gun).
                    Its a 18v Dewalt gun, the power supply puts out 12v and it seams to be working fine. I tested two different PC power supplies, one read 11.9v and the other read 12.1 volt - the 11.9v one would kick off with-in a second or two of use with the motor, the 12.1v has been working fine (it has only been in use for a day or so). Later tonight i will create a new thread just for that project. I have a link laying around (which ill look for) that helped out with testing the line voltage of the different colored PC supplies wires.

_

_
                    ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
                    http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

Thanks for the interesting post.

Comment

Originally posted by iMisspell View Post
                        note, the lights are white (not blue)... new camra and I still have to “dial it in”.
                        All thoughts are welcome.
                        The lights are probably bluer than you can perceive, I sometimes use my digital camera to 'see' IR remote control output.
                        The camera sees what we can not.

Nice job, if the lights are 'white' to you, it's all good.
                        Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                          Why did you use Black Lights on your mill?

Well,........Some of us are in the dark!!?
                          Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                            Hey Rich, men from Long Island aren't allowed to hammer on the other members here!
                            I always thought that was spelled "Lawn Guyland."

Mark

Comment

Lubricating hole!
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X