.125 hole in 3/8" ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .125 hole in 3/8" ball

Need to machine a .125+or -.0005 hole through 100 3/8" balls. I haven't purchased the balls yet, but am not aware of any that are precision and not case hardened or heat treated. I believe the balls, if found, could be non heat treated as I don't think I would have a wear problem.

In a collet with a backstop, drill and ream to size, just a suggestion
    Mark

Comment

If hardened like a ball bearing use a 2 flute straight flute solid carbide drill.
      Kansas City area

Comment

If hardened the balls could be annealed before machining. The could be heat treated afterwards is the application required that.

Comment

Not too worried about fixtures or holding the parts. As I understand, the casehardening is about .020 deep at RC60. I do have carbide drills and endmills. I guess the thing to do is just try a few.
          Thanks

Comment

Steel bearing balls will be hard all the way.

Comment

If you have not as yet bought the balls there is a place on evilbay that sells drilled, threaded in various matl's

http://stores.ebay.com/ToolSupply/Th...=p4634.c0.m322

Comment

Butch, You might try grinding a flat smaller than the 0.125 that would get rid of the surface hardness and give a better surface to start on. I have been using the small carbide drill/mills and not having much good to say about them. A good HSS drill guided by a bushing is working better than the carbide. I just may have not found good sharp carbide.
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

You can buy slingshot ammo that's 3/8 diameter steel balls. I know for a fact they can be drilled, tapped, etc. They may or may not be good enough for your application.

That's a pretty small hole to bore, so it looks like it would be drill and ream. The process would be greatly assisted by making a fixture to mount the ball, then guide the drill.

I've never seen a reamer in that small a size, but I'm sure they're made. You could probably use a D bit.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Never thought of that Darryl. Actually I have reamers much smaller. I very seldom use them. The most important thing to me is being able to put the correct size hile in them. It really doesn't matter if it is a few thousandths off center.

Comment

http://greenbaymfgco.com/catalog.php?cat=6

They have them in 1018,1045,12l14 and some others,
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks,
                        I'm getting a lot of help here.

Comment

Enco has carbon steel balls (don't buy the chrome steel ones) pretty cheap. $6.29 per 100... And you just missed a free shipping plus % discount deal last week )-:
                          Carbon steel balls are easy to anneal then conventional drill and ream.

Joe B
                          Last edited by JoeCB; 01-19-2014, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X