Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a chrome-plated wrench extension be knurled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a chrome-plated wrench extension be knurled?

I was asked this afternoon if I could knurl a four-inch section of a 3/8" drive 12" extension. It's 0.475" in diameter, and it's chrome plated. I'm thinking it will either be too hard to knurl at all, or knurling will cause the plating to peel, leaving lots of very sharp edges all over the knurled surface.

As an alternative, I was thinking about taking an old wrench handle (about 5/8" in diameter), cutting off the knurled section, and drilling it to give me a press fit on the extension. Seems to me the larger OD will more than make up for the fact that the old knurl is a bit worn.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Knurling would not end well.
    If You are looking for a little better grip on the extension for running by hand, a piece of heavy duty heat shrink like for welding/battery cables works good.

Steve

Comment

If you buy the more expensive marine grade heat shrink, it has a hot melt adheasive inside that will better suit your intended use.
      Joe B

Comment

Knurling it would be a mess. Wrap it in skate board grip tape.

Comment

How about a bit of coarse sandblasting?
          Cheers,

Frank Ford
          HomeShopTech

Comment

Turn .005 are .010 off it then knurl should be ok then.
            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Even if you get the plating off, an extension will likely be too hard to knurl. Better pass.

Tom
              Tom's Techniques

Comment

In addition to the drawbacks already mentioned about attempting to
                knurl, I will add that damaging the plating will promote rusting.

As for alternatives. Two more are:
                • use one or more pieces of heat shrink tubing. There are
                  varying shrink ratios, get one that will fit over the shaft, yet still
                  shrink tight.
                • Consider a latex coating product like Plasti Dip.
                  This is the kind of coating seen on plier handles and so on. If the
                  ends of the extension were masked, then only the central portion
                  would be coated.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                  As for alternatives. Two more are:
                  • use one or more pieces of heat shrink tubing. There are
                    varying shrink ratios, get one that will fit over the shaft, yet still
                    shrink tight.
                  • Consider a latex coating product like Plasti Dip.
                    This is the kind of coating seen on plier handles and so on. If the
                    ends of the extension were masked, then only the central portion
                    would be coated.

The adhesive wrap/tape for tennis racquet handles is also very good, as are rubber grips for golf clubs. See your local golf pro.

Comment

Working...
                  X