X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5C Collet Chuck

I want to purchase a 5C collet chuck. I have purchased tools from CDCO
    http://cdcotools.com/
    in the past. It's not US made, but it was serviceable and filled my needs.

Does anyone have any experience with this chuck? Or can you recommend another cheep (I was going to say competitive...) source.

paul
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to

keep an eye on ebay I bought a nice 5c collet chuck with fitted d1-4 camlock backplate included for around £100 including uk delivery.Now that was about six years ago and it might be slightly different today but please do look you might be surprised and guess what it showed absolutely no run out though made in China back when everyone was complaining about chinese accuracy. I hope this helps. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I have one, also a set of collets from CDCO. I am happy with it. There is an old thread about tuning up the mount. It involved recutting the reference shoulder and then cutting and mounting your back plate.
      Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Whatever source you decide to buy from, consider an adjustable type 5-C chuck. Worth the extra cost.
        Toolznthings

Comment

Smithy has a similar 5C chuck, apparently with a back plate of unclear type (looks like D1-3??) for $199. Grizzly is much prouder of their chucks, $300 to 1300. Might be worth a call to Smithy
          if that is a possible match to pin down the back plate type.
          Steve

Comment

I purchased the "Royal" collet chuck for my lathe many years ago. Expensive but a well made unit. I extended the draw tube to operate the collets. Great tool. I also bought several CDCO 'Aloris' tool holders and they do not fit the dovetail well and can use a 0.050 shim to take up space.

Comment

Hi Ironmonger , I ordered a 5C collet chuck and backplate from CDCO and just received
              it today in the mail. It may take a while before i get it machined. The Chuck looks good,
              it has an all black finish looks nicely made. The backplate looks good also. I've got to
              say CDCO was fast getting it to me. Shipping did not cost that much, only $40 for chuck
              and backplate through USPS. That was fantastic as i just ordered an inside micrometer from another US company and they charged me $60 for shipping. Seems strange as
              they told me they shipped by USPS also. So i don't know the quality of this chuck but they ship fast and their prices are great. Us Canucks have to buy a lot of tooling from USA as
              we can't get it here in Canada. I ordered a Electric 1/2 inch drill from Amazon supply for
              $89.00 and the price for the same drill in Canada was $276.00 The canadian suppliers sure
              know how to charge us Canadians.
              Wayne
              wayne101

Comment

there was a post on here about a month ago and it had a link to a drawing to make your own. It seemed pretty simple actually

Comment

That post was in reference to the Loop collet chuck which was a HSM writeup many years ago. Andy Lofquist of Metal Lathe Accessories offers a casting kit for it.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/MLA21.html
                  Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne101 View Post
                    Hi Ironmonger , I ordered a 5C collet chuck and backplate from CDCO and just received
                    it today in the mail. It may take a while before i get it machined. The Chuck looks good,
                    it has an all black finish looks nicely made. The backplate looks good also. I've got to
                    say CDCO was fast getting it to me. Shipping did not cost that much, only $40 for chuck
                    and backplate through USPS. That was fantastic as i just ordered an inside micrometer from another US company and they charged me $60 for shipping. Seems strange as
                    they told me they shipped by USPS also. So i don't know the quality of this chuck but they ship fast and their prices are great. Us Canucks have to buy a lot of tooling from USA as
                    we can't get it here in Canada. I ordered a Electric 1/2 inch drill from Amazon supply for
                    $89.00 and the price for the same drill in Canada was $276.00 The canadian suppliers sure
                    know how to charge us Canadians.
                    Wayne
                    HI Wayne
                    I'll watch for your experience with this, although I have just about decided in it's favor right now.

I can't explain the shipping costs either. I purchased some copper cups last year for bullet swaging when all our stuff was made of unobtainium... shipping cost exceeded the parts... If you guys have something like our priority mail, it sure doesn't work across our borders. I wonder if Amazon has a Canadian warehouse?

I liked the
                    JCHannum
                    That post was in reference to the Loop collet chuck which was a HSM writeup many years ago. Andy Lofquist of Metal Lathe Accessories offers a casting kit for it.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/MLA21.html
                    that JC linked to, but right now I can't thread. No gears... Thats why my electronic gearbox project grew into cnc conversion for the old SB11. The SB, with collets, will spin at .0002 TIR. I have a expandable collet set from CDCO now, but I wanted to be able to hold shapes like hex and square for some of my projects that just require turning. I have one of the tail-shaft die holders that is similar to this:
                    http://bedair.org/Die/Die.html
                    for threading. I made mine reversible, holds 1" round dies on one end and 1" hex on the other. Just over-bored the recesses to fit the hex major diameter and tapped for three screws spaced 120؛ rather than three spaced 90؛

paul
                    paul
                    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
                    but you may have to

Comment

This is really strange Wayne, I have recently been considering the same chuck and source you have used. In fact I have the Machinist's Workshop magazine opened to CDCO's ad right now. I too would be extremely interested in your thoughts on the chuck. I would need a 2 1/4 x 8 backplate for mine. The price seems to be quite reasonable especially for a hobbyist. I have been quite pleased with the items I have ordered from them in the past.

Comment

Working...
                      X