Latest from Kieth Fenner - Cutting and Internal Spline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest from Kieth Fenner - Cutting and Internal Spline

This links to an 8 part Keith Fenner video on YouTube where he takes you through the full process of shaping an internal spline coupling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IOCMe7v6PY

The video follows step by step manufacturing a solution to an initial problem: a largish hydraulic motor with a splined output shaft and how to make a coupling to connect it to a keyed winch shaft using the shaping attachiment and dividing head on his KT mill.

His equipment required a little tinkering and he addresses this in detail. He also discusses facotrs in machinn axis and part alignment and selecting 8620 steel because of its strength but doesn't mention its wonderful machining qualities. His discussion of shaper tool making and grindingamd settin was, I thought, first rate.

The fit he atttained was a little loose IMO. He remarked he did so deliberately as a working allowance for small misalignments in the installation. I thought he could have achieved a better fit had he checked sizes over wires and done a little math. The how-to is in Machinery's Handbook.

I could go on but it's mostly nit-picking. Fenner is a master craftsman and the proof of his work is the satisfaction of his customer.

View and enjoy. Be warned: it's 8 segments of roughly 1/2 hour each; nearly 4 fours.
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 01-26-2014, 06:38 AM.

I had watched all of this saga and he did a good job of explaining his reasoning for doing things, as usual. I'm sure that Tom Lipton or Adam Booth would have slight variations in the machining and fit as well. The recent "face-off" competition between the three of them was very entertaining and informative.
    Cheers,
    Gary

Comment

Not got 4 hours, is it an involute spline ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
        IIRC,yes,on a good sized radial piston hydraulic motor.

I thought the fit was fine,since the motor mount and probably the winch base are fabrictaed and not machined after the fact.

I have the same model K&T mill and am jealous of his slotting attachment
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by gcude View Post
          I had watched all of this saga and he did a good job of explaining his reasoning for doing things, as usual. I'm sure that Tom Lipton or Adam Booth would have slight variations in the machining and fit as well. The recent "face-off" competition between the three of them was very entertaining and informative.
          I somehow missed the face off. Have you got a link to it?
          TIA
          Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
            Yes, involute spline. To save some time, he is still setting up the slotting head at the end of video 4.... Lots of detail, but prolly more detail than John needs.
            Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Originally posted by camdigger View Post
              I somehow missed the face off. Have you got a link to it?
              TIA
              For Adam Booth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGTFRGTkuaM

For Tom Lipton: http://www.youtube.com/user/oxtoolco...h?query=facing

Can't seem to find the one for Keith Fenner.
              Cheers,
              Gary

Comment

OK thanks guys I'll give it a whirl,
                Wanted to see how he did the tool then. I can do them but there are always other ways and you never stop learning.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by gcude View Post
                  For Adam Booth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGTFRGTkuaM

For Tom Lipton: http://www.youtube.com/user/oxtoolco...h?query=facing

Can't seem to find the one for Keith Fenner.

One of the reasons I don't do video's is never found enough space to get a camera in the shop

Comment

IIRC from what Adam said during his videos, KF "face off" was posted on one the social media outlet, Facebook I believe.

I have been considering the GoPro for sports video (the majority of skateboarding, skiing, mountain bike etc. etc. are with the GoPro largely because of the weight and size) but would not have thought of it for in the shop.

Comment

That was quite the night of videos! I said to myself "I'd like to see this internal spline cutting." Then I said, "maybe it is on the next video" over and over again. lol
                      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                        That was quite the night of videos! I said to myself "I'd like to see this internal spline cutting." Then I said, "maybe it is on the next video" over and over again. lol
                        I think Mr Fenner is a master of suspense, as well as a master machinist. I have had to watch all his video sets from beginning to end (with the exception of the motorised TV stand series, which was literally interminable...). The "hook" is that when he does (rarely) make a mistake, he puts it all in the video, which makes watching irresistible, because I always want to see does everything turn out right... the Hitchcock of the toolroom...

Comment

So what video is it worth watching from ?

Comment

Originally posted by RussZHC View Post
                            IIRC from what Adam said during his videos, KF "face off" was posted on one the social media outlet, Facebook I believe.

I have been considering the GoPro for sports video (the majority of skateboarding, skiing, mountain bike etc. etc. are with the GoPro largely because of the weight and size) but would not have thought of it for in the shop.
                            funny that, was using my GoPro in the shop just yesterday to make a stop motion / sped up video of a 3d print job that was running.
                            Ideal, if pricy shop camera for general use IMO.

Dave
                            Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Vid #7, about 10 minutes in, is where he fires up the slotting head attachment. It is not an involute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LYsXn7wx2I

Comment

Working...
                              X