trailer repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer repair

I have been doing some needed work on my dump trailer. Wheels are very old and rusting away so must replace them. Can't find the same type so found that late eighties Dodge wheels have the right BC but center is a little smaller, rather that cut the wheels I remove the spindles and am turning them to fit. Have also needed to make a new bearing cap to replace the one lost years ago, the tuna can and hose clamp don't last long.
    remains of tuna can and clamp

Above is what I needed to make.

This is after turning and threading ID.

Have indicated and clamped to cut hex shape.

First side cut, cutting second.

Moved one clamp to cut third side, and continue in like manner to complete all sides.

Above is last side.

And it fits.

------------------
    Paul G.

[This message has been edited by Paul Gauthier (edited 04-26-2004).]
    Paul G.

Ford and Dodge wheels have the same bolt pattern (5 lugs on a 4.5" circle) but the Ford centers are a bit bigger.
    the 14" steel wheel that originally came with my 69 Mustang has a center hole that is just shy of 2.5"
    The 15" truck rim I have has a center hole of 2.75". It was free for the asking at a scrap yard.

Comment

The wheels I needed have a 5.5" BC. Got some off a Dodge, don't know the year just that it was late eighties. Center hole is 3.5"

------------------
      Paul G.

[This message has been edited by Paul Gauthier (edited 04-26-2004).]
      Paul G.

Comment

Nice work on the bearing cap. Your procedure for making it would also work very well for Power-take-off caps on the old N series Ford tractors.
        To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I was thinking it was a 5 on 5" circle. There was several vehicles with that pattern.

Used to be Old ford truck wheels (50s"?) and cadillac wheels, thou the caddie had a smaller center.

David

Comment

Looks like Jeep, 2A,3A and CJ 5 they have about a 4" center same BC as old Ford pickup but biger center.
            Les

Comment

Ford Ranger's have 4.5" BC, half ton are 5".

Dodge half ton and older jeeps also have the 4.5" centers,,

rollin'

Comment

Nice work Paul. How long did it take you to make it?

Rob

Comment

spkrman15
                  Most of an afternoon, 4-5 hours.

------------------
                  Paul G.
                  Paul G.

Comment

Kinda reminds me of the saying about sow's ears and silk purses Let's see, at current shop rates those cost at least $200. Nice work though. Like me, more time than money.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Talk about rust. Do you live under the sea? Nice job.

Comment

Nice job.

You ought to call it by it's proper name "hub cap". What most people call hubcaps are "wheel covers".

Super Dave
                        Super Dave
                        RapidtoCNC.com

Comment

I don't understand?

Where is the spinner that goes on the wheel that spins when it stops? Is that the next project? Them ain't cheap.. ya should make some for the neighborhood kids.

David..

Comment

Nice work Paul! What is that icky brown stuff? Is that rust? I live in the desert and don't know what rust looks like. Should I make some saltwater and put it on my wheels?
                            Michael

Comment

Yeah we grow rust here in New England. Without rust we would have nothing to do. You should see the crop on the rest of the trailer.
                              Seriously folks I am thinking of getting a sandblasting attachment for my pressure washer to clean up and paint the trailer and other things. Anyone ever use one???

------------------
                              Paul G.
                              Paul G.

Comment

Working...
                              X