ball bearing heat sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball bearing heat sink

Here's a novel idea for y'all- take a strip of aluminum, say 1-1/2 inch wide, and length to be the circumference of the od of the ball bearing. Bore the seat for the bearing to take into account the thickness of the strip when rolled around the outer race. Notch into the edge of the strip every 1/4 inch or so, to a depth leaving the thickness of the bearing race uncut. It will kind of look like a comb, with 1/4 inch wide tangs. Then roll this around something a little smaller than the outer race, such that the resulting curve matches the od of the race. Insert this into the bored seat, then press the bearing into it. Obviously the fit would be to suit the application.

Now bend each tab outwards- maybe even give it a slight twist. It will look like a fan blade.

Completely useless if the bearing is going into aluminum, would help cool the bearing if going into steel, and might be mandatory if the bearing is going to be pressed into a plastic block.

Mother being the necessity of invention, I came up with this as a means of cooling bearings that will be pressed into pvc holders.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

`A pail of liquid nitrogen seems way easier to me.

Steve

Comment

Dang- I'm fresh out of LN.

In this case, the bearing holders will be revolving and the inner races stationary. The aluminum thingy will act like a fan.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
        In this case, the bearing holders will be revolving and the inner races stationary. The aluminum thingy will act like a fan.
        I thought You were building a heat sink bearing insertion tool.
        Never mind

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X