old manchester end former

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old manchester end former

This is my first post and am not THAT familiar with all of this, but, I have a problem arising with an old Manchester end former. I believe that is what it is called anyway based on pics I have been looking at on used machinery sale sites. I started working in my dads shop when I was about 11 years old and got quite familiar with all of his different machines how to use them and how to work on/repair when things went wrong. Well, things are going wrong more and more often on this one and since my dad passed and I had been out of the business for about 10 years this old Manchester is messing up more and more. The thing is we only use it now for the clamp to hold two sizes of tubing, 5/8 and 3/4 and we use the end former to push a cap onto a piston. My question is, is there a simpler machine that do these two maneuvers and whether there is or not how much should I be looking to pay for a replacement? My business depends on it, we make around 8,000 of these things a year.

Welcome, a photo of the end product would help in the suggestion department, the only manchester ive seen was at cam gears doing track rod ends so im not sure if i even have the right machine!
    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
      Welcome, a photo of the end product would help in the suggestion department, the only manchester ive seen was at cam gears doing track rod ends so im not sure if i even have the right machine!
      Mark
      Here is the end result: Ok, not sure how to insert a pic, the html code keeps showing up instead of the picture! Just google zerk zapper picture and you can see the end result.

Comment

The VERY FIRST thread on this forum is a sticky and tells you how to post pictures...

Comment

Thanks lakeside, much appreciated!

Comment

It's not your imagination that it is a little clunky to post photos.

Alternatively, if you host the photos on the web somewhere, you can just post a link and we'll trot off and go look at the photos that way.

On the third hand, if you put the photos on a 3rd party photo hosting site, like picassa, you're halfway to getting the photo posted on this site.

Carry on.

doug

Comment

For now, here is a link:

http://www.zerkzapper.com/uploads/3/...86/5001722.jpg

I use the manchester to hold the steel tube (before rubber casing is put on) and drill in the nipple. We then use it to hold the cap of the piston and push the grooved piston into that cap. The machine is stopping more and more and I am thinking there must be a smaller machine out there or at least a replacement because if this things go I am going to have to get that replacement within a week. I can post pics of the individual pieces tomorrow once I open that 3rd party pic site.

Comment

http://www.zerkzapper.com/tool--acce...criptions.html Why would anyone want to pump solvent into a grease fitting?
                Nev.

Comment

Sounds like you just need a small hydraulic press to push the ends on, somthing with a hydraulic powerpack and footpedal, the stam would have to be clamped, a hydraulic clamp would solve that, im thinking were half way down the road of a custom machine here, the alternativevis a manual press, somthing like a fly press or powered like a powerpress, tooling it in either case would be a lot longer than a week even if you cobble it together yourself.
                  I would suggest that you dona thourough clean and diagnostic on the existing machine, if its fn up there is a reason, limit switches, cams, hydraulics etc, usually the answer is somthing simple, if its irregular dont rule out the operator! I have found that component is the most unreliable on any production line, some even making breakdowns to get off a boring job. The most effective deterrant ive found is a camera on the machine, "for diagnostic purposes", found several machines perform flawlessly after!
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                    Sounds like you just need a small hydraulic press to push the ends on, somthing with a hydraulic powerpack and footpedal, the stam would have to be clamped, a hydraulic clamp would solve that, im thinking were half way down the road of a custom machine here, the alternativevis a manual press, somthing like a fly press or powered like a powerpress, tooling it in either case would be a lot longer than a week even if you cobble it together yourself.
                    I would suggest that you dona thourough clean and diagnostic on the existing machine, if its fn up there is a reason, limit switches, cams, hydraulics etc, usually the answer is somthing simple, if its irregular dont rule out the operator! I have found that component is the most unreliable on any production line, some even making breakdowns to get off a boring job. The most effective deterrant ive found is a camera on the machine, "for diagnostic purposes", found several machines perform flawlessly after!

Mark
                    While I don't THINK that is the case here I know of times in the past that it has been and it is great advice (the operator part). I will take your advice and do a thorough cleaning and make sure everything is connected right. Haven't actually done that in awhile. Any idea what old machines like this cost if I could happen to find one?

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                      http://www.zerkzapper.com/tool--acce...criptions.html Why would anyone want to pump solvent into a grease fitting?
                      Nifty, in the machining world it is not SUCH a problem because there is not so much dirt and dust (farmers), sawdust and dirt (forestry), winter storage and grease hardening (boating), gravel and dust (construction) or coal dust and such (mining). But, in all of these industries these things mix with the grease and harden it so it fs up the machinery. By pumping solvent into the fitting you unclog it making the person able to grease again and thus not end up with broken machinery or lost bearings. However, I don't care what industry you are in if you don't grease often enough grease will harden over time.

Comment

It's really hard to give any advice without knowing exactly what a Manchester end former is or how it operates. When I think "end former" I think of tube swaging machines.

I Googled on "Manchester end former". Lots of hits and Manchester appears to be still in business. Have you contacted them? This site is primarily home shop hobbyists who in most cases would have no knowledge of end forming.

Comment

Working...
                        X