Yer Hoo a gloat to end all gloats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yer Hoo a gloat to end all gloats.

Many many moons ago when I used to go vintage racing I also used to make bits, in fact that's how my workshop started and then developed as a business.
    I used to make all sorts of things Andre steering dampers as i bought a job lot of the genuine Bakelite knobs and made these until the knobs ran out.
    Various carb parts and rev counter drives to name a few.

About a year ago when sorting out one of the sheds I came across a box of rev counter drive bits, bronze cases and some gears left over, there were from memory 12 or 15 cases and enough gears to do probably 8-9 complete units so another rainy day job and got thrown under another bench.

Looking on Ebay tonight and spotted this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-DBD-34...-/261353572532

Yer hoo I'm sat on a fortune......................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

But.... that one sale saturated the market

Comment

Damn................normal service will be resumed as soon as possible............

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

The de beers diamond company has the right idea, theres no shortage of diamonds, they have millions of carrats of the stuff stored around the world at undisclosed locations, every year in london theres what they call the viewing, merchants turn up to buy uncut stones, the stones are on trays in big heaps sorted by size colour or whatever they use, the merchants buy by the kilogram and haggle prices, they make the stuff rare
        You now have the monopoly on these, all you need is to sell one at regular intervals, you have acheived market domination!
        Im going to take my pills now
        Mark

Comment

And your's won't be slightly used they'll be NEW tada.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
            But.... that one sale saturated the market
            But there were 7 bidders (total of 17 bids), so it would seem there are at least 6 more potential buyers --and having been out bid once they may be a bit more determined next time.

I just wanted to give Sir John back his feeling of having discovered a forgotten fortune...

Zero.

Comment

Originally posted by + or - Zero View Post
              But there were 7 bidders (total of 17 bids), so it would seem there are at least 6 more potential buyers --and having been out bid once they may be a bit more determined next time.

I just wanted to give Sir John back his feeling of having discovered a forgotten fortune...

Zero.
              Yeah, there were 7 bidders, but 6 wanted to buy it so they could re-list it at a higher price on Amazon.

Dan
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

The ebay photo brought back a few memories. That drive looks very similar (I doubt its exactly the same) to the tacho drive that Jaguar used on their pre and post war 3.5 litre push rod engines.

Comment

What a mirror of my own cynicism this thread is. It's like it read my mind including market saturation, the diamond business, and reselling hoarders! It is a complete tear-down of how the Ebay world works and left me with nothing to post in response

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
                    and left me with nothing to post in response
                    But you managed anyway

Phil

Comment

Well whaddya know! Seems what you have are tachometer drives for Vincent Black Shadows!
                      http://velobanjogent.blogspot.co.nz/...-speedoan.html

Maybe just about every other British bike of the era too plus windscreen wiper drives for Vauxhall cars!

Comment

The BSA ones were a sh!te design then and continued to be so right until 1983 when the last example of the type (now in pot metal) left the Triumph (1973) Meriden works.

If the cable gets at all tight, they protect the drive wheel by spitting the driven wheel onto the road...

Mutter, grumble, curse.
                        Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Hey i don't want to USE it.

I only want to SELL it.

Anyway big setback, dug everything out today and found 10 castings, sounds right as i used to them in 10's but the tobacco tin with the gears in has vanished.
                          However I do have about 6 or 7 loose ones on a string in another drawer. The gear cutter who used to make them is long retired and that little hobber I bought will do helical's but only after a lot of modifications as it wasn't designed to do them.

Not sure if my electronic one can go to that steep an angle, 45 degrees ,
                          Just in case i have fired an email off to Giles Parkes who has modified his hobber to do helicals so all is not lost, plus i know the tobacco tin doesn't contain a full set of gears, where the oddments have some from i don't know.

Might even draw one up and then print a 3D model for some more castings if they sell OK.

Comment

I don't want to piss on your bonfire mate but the other side of Nottingham from you Speedograph Richfield are making and selling them for less than Ebay (but they clearly haven't discovered casting over there)
                            http://www.speedograph-richfield.com...e_gearbox.html

Last one I bought at an autojumble cost me £20. If you can make them precisely the same as some rare BSA variant you may yet corner a valuable market segment

Charles

Comment

Yabut.
                              Mine have the genuine smiths logo on [ if I can get the little engraver working again ] and mine are bronze.
                              They do the same as mine in the 1508 series but I'm guessing they are alloy castings painted.

Anyway roughly £100 a pop, I have 10 castings so yes it's worth dribbling them out on Ebay, the description is what sells these things.

If the punter hasn't found Speedograph then he hasn't been looking and is ripe for having his trousers pulled down by Ebay.

Comment

Working...
                              X