Any of the Chinese Boring Heads good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of the Chinese Boring Heads good?

I need to bore a 40mm hole to a 42mm --- aluminum 12mm deep for ball bearing -
    10 holes total -- using Bridgeport mill -

Any of the Chinese Boring Heads of good quality ?

Chinese boring heads work, if you clamp them down TIGHT!!
    The quality isn't great.
    They work good for rough boring, but fine finish boring can be hit-or-miss.
    There is a lot of slop in the adjusting screw. A lot of backlash, and play. Getting them to dial-in accurately to final bore size can be frustrating.
    They can get the job done with patience, but they're nothing like a quality CRITERION, ERICKSON, or BRIDGEPORT boring head.

Comment

I have Criterion, Nova, and an Erikson Tenthset boring head. Also a couple of Chinese ones. My Chinese ones are of decent quality and work fine. I think with Chinese tools you can't say they're all junk because the quality varies so much from pretty bad to fairly good. With eBay or mail order you never know what you're getting till it show up on the import stuff. Good name brands are a known.
      That said, I get more enjoyment out of using the better ones.
      Last edited by Toolguy; 02-02-2014, 04:55 PM.
      Kansas City area

Comment

Thanks Guys for the info - thats what I figured -

Comment

I do what you want to do all the time.
          I have various boring heads, some of the auto boring and facing head, Narex ? and a couple of others but I use a 2" Chinese model most of the time because it was my first head and I'm used to it.

I also have a 3" head for larger work with 3/4" bars but I find that harder to work for some reason that I just can't explain.
          I rarely use the boring and facing heads because they are that complex I never remember what all the knobs and levers are.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

A timely question as i'm just going to purchase a boring head. It will be a 2inch chinese model, cause that is what my budget can spring for at present.

Comment

I got a "quality import" 2" boring head from Travers Tool Co. www.travers.com that has done pretty well. I don't mind using it. A Criterion is probably better, but this one is okay. n.b. I bought it about 20 years ago, so it quite likely has no relation to what is being sold now.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I use a Chinese boring head from BusyBee Tools and it works just great. The only issue, and its probably me instead of the fact that its Chinese, is that the graduations on the dial that advances the cutter are awfully small and difficult to see.
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have a 2 inch Chinese boring head that works fine for the price. My only gripe is the setscrews, which are butter soft, and metric.

Comment

Seems anything from china with set screws are soft, horrible things, just changed them all on my spin indexer. Will be changing them on the boring head also.

Comment

I just did this yesterday in a piece of 1/2" aluminum.

with one of these.

I replaced all the set screws as others have done, I also touch up the carbide tools that came with mine using diamond files but other than that I'm very happy with it.
                      Those holes are 25mm and 27mm. I had no trouble getting them well within .001".
                      Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

they work reasonably well, after you have disassembled, cleaned, deburred and stoned/polished them.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike View Post
                          I just did this yesterday in a piece of 1/2" aluminum.

with one of these.

I replaced all the set screws as others have done, I also touch up the carbide tools that came with mine using diamond files but other than that I'm very happy with it.
                          Those holes are 25mm and 27mm. I had no trouble getting them well within .001".
                          That is a nice peice of machining, love it, even if i havent the foggiest what it is!
                          Mark

Comment

Agreed, nice piece of work mike!

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                              I also have a 3" head for larger work with 3/4" bars but I find that harder to work for some reason that I just can't explain.
                              Clumsy Bastard.
                              Cheers,
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X