Source for M4-0.75mm set screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for M4-0.75mm set screws?

I need a couple of M4 set screws with a 0.75mm pitch. (10mm length)

Any suggestions of where I might find some? Google failed me...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=qiuygy The standard thread pitch is 0.70, which is what I think you need. But otherwise it was dead easy to find them.

Comment

Yes. I can find 0.70 pitch all day long as well. Unfortunately I actually do need 0.75mm pitch screws. So maybe it will be dead easy for you to find them too?

Comment

I couldn't even find that thread listed... checked out course, fine and extra fine metric tables.
        What is it for?

I know it's nuts, but 8-32 is .007" larger in major diameter and the .75 mm pitch comes out to 33.8 threads per inch. For your length thats about .010" discrepancy in overall thread length for .75mm pitch to 32 TPI

Regardless, I would be curious to see what happens if you tried a 8-32 screw...

paul
        Last edited by ironmonger; 02-02-2014, 07:51 PM. Reason: brain fart...
        paul
        ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
        but you may have to

Comment

A BA No. 3 is closer at 4.1mm x 0.73mm

I couldn't find anything closer either. M4.5-0.75 is listed as a standard.

http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/ba-thread.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Nash View Post
            A BA No. 3 is closer at 4.1mm x 0.73mm

I couldn't find anything closer either. M4.5-0.75 is listed as a standard.

http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/ba-thread.html
            Nice chart!
            thanks

paul
            paul
            ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
            but you may have to

Comment

Try a French web site. Anything metric that is a "standard" but not available is usually French

Comment

Actually, it may be a pre-ISO German or Italian fastener
                conforming to DIN specs.

Some discussion here suggests it may be necessary to make
                your own replacement(s). Looks as though taps/dies can be
                located.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                  Try a French web site. Anything metric that is a "standard" but not available is usually French
                  LOL. You nailed it lakeside!

This is for an Arpo force/tension gauge that was made in France - circa 1958.
                  I was surprised to find that a M4-0.50 thread exists as well. http://www.tap-die.com/contents/en-u...tric_taps.html

Oddly enough my Vermont American (China) tap & die set contains both M4-0.70 and M4-0.75 sizes. I chased the threads in the gauge housing easily with the 0.75 pitch tap. Finding replacement screws however is not coming so easily....

Edit to add:
                  Regardless, I would be curious to see what happens if you tried a 8-32 screw...
                  Paul - It goes in 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns and stops. No joy.
                  Last edited by Highpower; 02-02-2014, 09:46 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Yep.. try finding Peugeot 504 (French) carb screws... M5x0.7 (or was it 0.75?)

Oh, just tap them out to 0.8!

Comment

If it fits, I would just drill & tap M5 there, or try first tapping it with regular M4. Or just drill larger, plug it and make a completely new hole in the plug (or use a Helicoil or something).
                      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I played around the web and could not find a source of set screws however there were sites that sold Tap and Dies for this size so if you really want a set screw with this thread maybe you could make your own.
                        Here's a die for sale on Amazon

Good Luck
                        Harold

Comment

Merde!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt View Post
                            Merde!
                            Short, sweet and à propos. I like it!

Similar to Jaakko's recommendation, another member suggested to me to try running a 'standard' 0.7 screw through a 0.75 die. I think i will try that first as it would leave the threads in the gauge original. Failing that I will probably just re-drill and tap to M5. I was trying to keep things as original as possible even though that isn't really practical. I'm off to one (or two) of the big box 'hardware' stores that usually has an isle full of empty small fastener drawers...

Comment

If going the route of re-threading an existing M4 set screw,
                              wouldn't a fine pitch M4 x 0.50 provide more material to cut
                              the coarse 0.75 pitch into than the 0.70 will ?

Expediency and patience probably determine how much time
                              to devote to resolution. Always seems a shame to rush to
                              modify a vintage item - in this case by tapping to a new size.

What about making a replacement w/ correct pitch. The hex
                              socket is beyond me to suggest, but would a slot drive on the
                              end work in your application?

Brownells does not appear to list 0.75, but this size appears in
                              threads related to firearms in NA. Also, there may be Euro sites
                              for various interests where folks may be able to provide a source
                              for a used/unused replacement.

Bear in mind the different nomenclature: 0.75 here is 0,75 elsewhere.

If you succeed in locating a source, consider posting back to this thread.
                              I know I will be interested in learning where such items might be found,
                              others now or later may likewise wish to know.

Last edited by EddyCurr; 02-03-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X