Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it O.K. to run a 14" chuck on a 16" South Bend lathe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it O.K. to run a 14" chuck on a 16" South Bend lathe.

I finally found some 2-3/8" x 6 face plates and chucks for my lathe. The one is a 14" 4-jaw independent chuck with a backplate that only adds about 0.50" to the length of the chuck. Since the chuck is not sticking as far out as a 3-jaw is it okay to use such a large chuck? I also have a 12" 3-jaw that might go on also.

On the 14" chuck, the chuck jaws won't be able to open very far before hitting the ways. The 12" one will be better, but still need to keep an eye on that. Just turn it gently by hand before hitting go to check clearances. Also, don't want to rev too high on large diam. chucks.

Comment

I had a 12" chuck on a 15" lathe and a 18"chuck on a 20" lathe, never had a problem. But, do watch the speed there are limits You don't want to exceed.

Steve

Comment

As long as there's clearance and you have the cross-slide travel, go for it. I run a 11" face plate on my 12x36 A/C occasionally.

Comment

Thanks, I put the chuck on last night and it has about 0.25" clearance between the bolts that hold the headstock down. I can extend the jaws enough to hold something 8". It looks like the chuck has been brazed on the sides of one of the jaws. Is this thing even safe to use?

Comment

Hi Chris165
            It looks like the chuck has been brazed on the sides of one of the jaws. Is this thing even safe to use?
            You should probably post a couple of pictures to accompany that question.

Comment

I guess a picture cant be added to the post without using an image hosting site. I will describe the repair as best as I can. (Really don't want to make an account for 1 picture)
              On the body of the chuck to the left and right of one of the jaws there looks to be gold brazing filler. It is filled about 1" back from the center bore of the chuck and only about 0.25" deep. The grooves that are cut into the face run through the gold filler which seems like it was not a crappy "just fix it" repair. It is also nicely filed where the jaw slides through.

Comment

Hi Chris165
                Yes, the image must be hosted elsewhere. I used tinypic.com for the pictures I posted, no signup required.

Comment

I wouldn't use it myself, dont fancy a face full of iron when it comes off!
                  Mark

Comment

I have been watching this thread but since I still consider myself a novice I was waiting for someone else to chime in on on that brazed chuck, basically IMO that thing is a bomb! I suppose if it's used at very low speeds it would be safe enough but sooner or later someone is going to spin it up and it will very possibly grenade from the centrifugal forces. I remember a safety bulletin we had at work some years ago about a lathe face plate explosion, somewhat different than a chuck but the principle is still the same, a guy had brazed up holes that had been drilled in it but when it was put into use it exploded violently doing heavy damage to the surrounding area but fortunately only minor injury to the operator. A piece of iron of that weight and diameter does have to be spinning very fast to do some real damage if it comes apart and quite obviously the structural integrity of this chuck would be questionable!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris165 View Post
                      I guess a picture cant be added to the post without using an image hosting site. I will describe the repair as best as I can. (Really don't want to make an account for 1 picture)
                      On the body of the chuck to the left and right of one of the jaws there looks to be gold brazing filler. It is filled about 1" back from the center bore of the chuck and only about 0.25" deep. The grooves that are cut into the face run through the gold filler which seems like it was not a crappy "just fix it" repair. It is also nicely filed where the jaw slides through.
                      Make the account Chris.
                      We all want to see some pics.
                      Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

That kind of stinks. I did not see the repair until it was sitting on the floor of my shop. Included in the haul was 3-8" faceplates / drive plates, 1-13" faceplate, 1-13" 3 jaw chuck 2pc jaws and the big 14" 4 jaw for $350. I originally planed on using the 3 jaw for a welding fixture but I guess for what everything cost it wouldn't hurt to use the 4 jaw instead. I have a 12" 4 jaw guess i'll just have to have a backplate made for it.

I can post the chuck on one of my threads over on weldingweb if that is o.k.?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris165 View Post
                          I have a 12" 4 jaw guess i'll just have to have a backplate made for it.
                          I suspect if the 12 inch is in good shape that you would be happier with it anyway. It's probably considerably lighter and you can likely hold at least as big a workpiece on it because you can open the jaws wider without them crashing the bed.

Comment

That 14" chuck would work well on a weld positioner. If you don't want it, send it to me, that how I would use it

Tim

Comment

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...-start-turning

Here is the post on w.w. that has the pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X