Metric Thread Major Diameter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metric Thread Major Diameter question

I've measured a Kipp Handle from my Chevalier grinder several times and can't find it on metric thread charts. I've got one in good shape, need another one. They are locks for the table motion limits.

I keep measuring (dial caliper and micrometer) a major diameter of 5.72 mm, but that doesn't seem to fit either 5 or 5.5 mm thread dimensions. I know without calling them that Chevalier will want $35 for one of these, and while I've made a jury-rigged version that works for the missing side, it would be nice to simply order one from another source.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dan L
    Salem, Oregon

Dan, I don't have a Chevalier, so can't answer your specific question.
    It is common for some manufacturers to use custom threads and custom diameters are not out of the question either.
    The reason is that they do not want to share the repair parts business, or it is a real safety issue and they can control exposure by making their own screws
    I had an old Brown and Sharpe that had 1/4-22 threads as an example.
    Anyway, if you don't want to buy a special screw, then make a duplicate.
    From your dims, I have to assume the thread is a 5.75-.75 or whatever and let that be your guide.
    Root diameter for metric is the OD, minus the thread pitch so that would be 5mm in my example.

Lastly , you could always tap it out to the next size (6mm), but stay with the same pitch if possible
    Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

I'll bet a penny to a pound that's an M6. It can have a (minimum) major diameter of 5.79mm, so you're close enough especially if it's Chinese/Taiwanese made?
      Despite your pre-occupation over there in the US with really, really, odd size metric threads, pretty much the rest of the World has never seen any of those sizes

Comment

Thanks for your insight, Rich and Peter. I don't do much with metric. I was thinking a 5.5 mm is closest, but it is likely a nonstandard size. The one I jury rigged up does not have the ratcheting feature, but I might just forget the cosmetics of the situation and keep using it.....

Dan

Salem, Oregon

Comment

Is the pitch 1mm?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
            Is the pitch 1mm?
            Yes it is. Looks like that solves that. 6 mm.

Thanks, I now have two of these on order, much cheaper than from the manufacturer.....

Dan
            Salem, Oregon

Comment

Your thread is M6. What is amazing is the confusion something like this creates in the US.
              Now - the next question will be: M6 by what? Any bets?

Comment

Originally posted by Juergenwt View Post
                Your thread is M6. What is amazing is the confusion something like this creates in the US.
                Now - the next question will be: M6 by what? Any bets?
                M6 x 1.0

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Na...

M6 x 25.4 tpi

Comment

You will also be surprised that an OBA thread is the same OD, the same pitch, & will function, the only difference is the angle of the thread.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                      Na...

M6 x 25.4 tpi
                      Well played!
                      Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                        Na...

M6 x 25.4 tpi
                        Just to confuse them yanks even more -------- why not look for a 6 mm X 0.0394" tpi ?

Comment

Originally posted by j.bain87 View Post
                          Just to confuse them yanks even more -------- why not look for a 6 mm X 0.0394" tpi ?
                          Not the Yanks who are confused, 0.0394" is the pitch, not the tpi.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Sidell View Post
                            You will also be surprised that an OBA thread is the same OD, the same pitch, & will function, the only difference is the angle of the thread.

Ray
                            What would really surprise me would be to learn that someone who didn't have an M6 die ran out and bought a 0BA to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by cameron View Post
                              What would really surprise me would be to learn that someone who didn't have an M6 die ran out and bought a 0BA to do the job.
                              Thirty-odd years ago my father used an 0 BA tap because he didn't have an M6 one. I still have the item - it was something he made for me - the male thread goes in, but the fit is horrible!

George

Comment

Working...
                              X