7000lb. Varnamo Mill saved from scrapyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7000lb. Varnamo Mill saved from scrapyard

This is a mill I got from a scrap dealer that he bought at an auction sale for $35.00. It is a Varnamo U-3 Multi Mill built in Sweden. It was equipped with a 15hp motor on the Horizontal Mill, 7.5hp on the Vertical Ram Head and 3hp on the 18 speed power feed transmission in the Knee and was 3 phase. The power feed had some major problems so I converted it to hydraulic. I made the hydraulic tank that holds 80 litres and mounted a 3hp 1ph motor driving the pump at 10 gal per minute. Controlling the speed is done with a flow control lever that allows infinite speeds 1-1/4” to 17” per minute. I ran the controlled flow and the bypass flow back to the tank individually to enhance the cooling of the oil. The hydraulic motor was a salvaged wheel motor from a commercial Toro Lawn Mower. I added a pressure gauge which runs 75psi when milling at low speed with the table and 450psi raising the knee drilling with a 1-1/2 twist drill thru 1” plate.
    The Vertical Head will swivel 90 degree left or right and has an ISO 40 Taper. The Quill diameter is 5" with a 3-1/8" Quill travel and is mounted to the moveable ram that has an 8 speed transmission with speeds 110 to 2400 rpm. When the Ram is stretched out the spindle to column is 32”. To power this I removed the 7.5hp 3ph Flange mounted motor and machined a 1” thick plate the same as the motor. Then machined and mated the original flex coupling to a 1-1/2 shaft. I mounted the 1ph 5hp motor on a slotted mount to tighten the B width V belt; after the pulley was mounted I added a brake disc and caliper salvaged from a snow machine. The master cylinder was mounted on half a handlebar attached behind the control box. The brake is equipped with a limit switch when applied disconnects power from the motor, which works good for power tapping and when the park brake is applied it locks the head for doing tooling changes. The horizontal part of the Mill has ISO 50 taper and 16 speeds 40-1800 rpm. I am not using this part of the machine but could in the future.
    Table Horizontal Angle L or R 0-45 deg
    Table Capacity………………1500lbs.
    Table……………………………..64”x13-3/4”
    Longitudinal Travel……….44-1/4”
    Cross Travel…………………...14”
    Vertical Travel………………..20”
    Coolant Capacity…………….12 gal.
    Weight…………………………….7000lbs
    I wanted a gearhead machine; this one was way bigger than I was looking for but after having it, I really appreciate the sturdiness, quality and capabilities of this mill.
    I have used this machine for a year now and I’m very pleased how it performs and it’s a real asset to my farm shop. I am not a machinist but have used a mill drill in the past.
    Information or manuals for these machines are scarce; if anyone has access to these I would really appreciate any information.
    Thank you and hope you enjoy the pics.

Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM.

Ooooooooooooo That's nice.
    That thing could mill a Bridgy down into 20 thou chip and not bat an eye lid

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

very nice mills, pretty common in Canada but not at that price!

Comment

Holy man that's allot of potatoes --- thats some serious milling power you got thar, and by the looks of it its a beauty - can't believe what some people try to throw away... Good score

Comment

Well heck, at least slap some gray latex house paint on it make it look like POS

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
            I am not a machinist
            You may not consider yourself one, but I feel I will not
            be alone in complimenting you on a well thought out
            and well executed resto-mod of that mill.

Nicely done.

Quite a step up from a mill/drill.

Comment

All I can say is wow...just wow!! You didn't say what you paid but the scrap dealer sure stole it. As others have said, I can't believe that someone would actually scrap that thing. Tooling is going to cost you a few bucks--50 taper stuff isn't cheap like R8--that'll make you pay for your sins...
              Keith

Comment

Ooh, brings back memories, I used to love the Vنrnamo at school, the exact same machine you have. Could take so much chip with it that even the teacher got worried
                Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Im using NT40 arbours and to be honest i pick them up frequently in fleamarkets aka boot sales over here, cheaper than R8, bet new stuff is dear!, its nice to have a mill that can munch on steel instead of licking it, pretty purple chips tend to brand you if your not careful and melt into your shoes!
                  Good looking machine, well done
                  Mark

Comment

Keith the Mill came from a very large Machine Shop auction in Edmonton ,Alberta and was out in the dead row,the Lathes were selling for less than scrap price my friend bought 20x80 Tezan (Tos Clone) for a $100.00 took it home and replaced a $20.00 bearing and some TLC works good.The Varnamo was next the first bid was$35.00 I never even bid and it was sold, bought it from the scrap dealer for $500.00 the next day!

Comment

A) let me be the first to say, you suck.

B) I shoulda stuck around longer. Dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by achtanelion View Post
                        A) let me be the first to say, you suck.

B) I shoulda stuck around longer. Dammit.
                        Peer pressure turned out to be a good thing this time, as I would not have considered this mill if the two friends that I was with had not convinced me to take a hard look at it after the scrap dealer bought it!

Comment

Working...
                        X