Macinery Handbook 26th Ed. CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macinery Handbook 26th Ed. CD

I am buy the new CD for the Machinery's Handbook. I have the spare change and my vendor gave me another 10% off.

So I have the Version One of the CD available for sale or trade. Nothing is wrong with it, I just had the bucks for the new one.

Contact me off the BBS

Jerry

Jerry,
    Why do you dislike us on this board that much?

That first CD was a pile of dog crap.
    I bought it when it first came out and it was money wasted.
    It uses a search engine called Dymotext <sp>? and it's slow, inaccurate and can't find a torch in the dark.

It's worst feature is the fact it can't scale tables or charts so you can finish up with a large chart spanning 4 pages with a bit on each.

I complained bitterly to MH about this but they never even returned emails.
    When the newer .pdf version came out I asked if V1 users could get an upgrade but again mail was ignored.

I now have the latest version and it's .pdf based and is good. I had to wait a while to pick a S/H copy up as I have swore not to put anymore money in MH's pockets.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks for warning me John. I can't stand PDF format. It slows way down on graphics and the reader is clumsy. Just a simple thing like zooming in and out of an image requires selecting menu items. Any good program will zoom either with the wheel or with left and right mouse buttons. I much prefer information in html format.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Every time I click a link and see Acrobat Reader starting up I cuss under my breath and cringe. I absolutely hate .pdf files. And scrolling through a multi-page document takes forever.

Why it's so popular is beyond me.

Dymotext must really be horrible.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 04-28-2004).]

Comment

Its simple really. Welcome to the world of propery rights management. Most likely MH wanted to protect the copy of the handbook they were selling and wanted to make it difficult for buyers to then give away copies to others. HTML would be the worst format from this perspective as the only thing someone would have to do is put the handbook up on a web server and everyone could easily use it at no charge. Then who is going to pay MH for a copy?

The other problem is that most formats are proprietary. Such as PDF. Adobe's licence allows people to download a viewer for free. Software is also driven by fashion as much as by technology. PDF is fashionable, its the default format people think of, so everyone uses it.

Just be glad you don't have to phone the company for a new password everytime you reinstall or move the directory location as I have to do with my car's service manual.

You are experiencing the tip of a hugh iceberg that will be a major fight in the comming decades.

Comment

CM,

Absolutely correct. You ain't seen nuthin yet. Digital Rights Management is already stripping our legal rights under the law to fair use copying for backup purposes. If I buy a music CD I fully expect to be able to copy it so I can play the copy in my vehicle instead of the expensive original. Many new CDs are "protected" by corrupting the CD format in one way or another. Most won't even play in a computer and not in many vehicle CD players, either. The content providers are tightening the screws. Just wait until you have to pay every time you want to use content. That's going to be interesting.

Comment

I am just trying to give some beginner a break, V 1 wasn't the greatest, but I am not expecting even half of what it cost. It will run under older editions of windows.

But I need to have something I can cut and paste from for doing proposal and basic adherence to something that is published.

The copy of MH that I normally use is the 17th edition from 1964 before CNC and the age of automation took over the manual.

The arguement about computer formats, copying CDs and all of that are for another forum.

Jerry

Comment

The argument against selling on this forum is valid however.
                Try eBay.
                Jim H.

Comment

I am trying to help those who are beginners. If I was greedy I would have put this on eBay and never mentioned this here.

So trying to help others is against the rules? I am loosing money by offering this stuff here. So I am not selling anything.

I was going to see if anyone wanted to trade for a MT2 x 1/2 Boring Head, but now I am afraid to, because it will either offend some body or people will go off on a tangent rant. If I was selling lots of stuff that is where I would draw the line, but I am trying to sell or trade stuff to help others at a reasonable price. The products that I sell to earn my income have never been posted on this BBS.

As that intellectual property exchange is also a form of selling maybe we should ban that also. I can carry this to the "nth degree" also.

Comment

Please don't.

Comment

Please don't help beginners or carry this to the "nth" degree.

I want to help those with little money and lots of hopes. Others have done that for me on this list. It's hard being a beginner, and things laying around my shop not in use may help somebody else.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,
                        I wasn't having a go at you and I read it in the light that you wanted to swop this and I can't see anything wrong in that.
                        We swop ideas all the while.
                        I was actually having a dig at the crap MH put out with this CD, a lot of people weren't happy, in fact I have not seen one post about the V1 issue where somebody liked it.

I can understand selling being a no no with Neil running an ads servive in the mag but what's others thoughts on swopping?

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Neil posted a while back that the reason for the no sales is to prevent this forum from becoming a flea market. I can understand this and other reasons that Village Press might have. I feel we should respect the wishes of the sponsor and not try to weasel around them.
                          I think swapping can become the same thing, and that offering something as being available for swap is tantamount to offering it for sale. I have been to a lot of "swap meets", and never have seen anything but money swapped for the items on the tables.
                          I see no reason not to contact someone by e-mail if you have something that might be of help to him, and no reason not to use the Third Hand section to post needs for information or parts, but do find it boring when a couple of people are working out a swap on the board.
                          Since there are other forums that do offer the sale/swap feature as a regular part of their menu, I suggest the use of these if you have anything for sale. I do that, and have found it to be successful.
                          Jim H.

Comment

John,
                            That is O.K., I know the V 1 is poor, but it may help somebody else who can't afford the new stuff.

JCHannum,
                            What you are telling me is to stop helping people and basically go away.

As I said before, I am trying to help people who can't afford new things, I even throw in extra stuff for free. If I use the ads in the magazines, then I have to raise my prices on these few items to cover the cost, then I can't afford to throw in extras for free and then the beginners can't afford the price and will not get a act of kindness from one person to another.

I thought we were here to help one another, or is this bragging rights only? Or does the bragging have to be approved before posting???

If somebody doesn't like trying to help others, then maybe they should find another place to post messages.

BTW three beginners have contacted me about the Boring Head. Two from this board.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Your motives are not being questioned here. This is not the place to sell or barter, it has nothing to do with you personally.

Comment

Working...
                              X