X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial Indicator Boxes

I've recently been trying to 'class up' my
    measuring tools, and I've finally obtained
    some higher quality (USA made) dial indicators.

My cheapo Chinese DI's came in styrofoam boxes, and I ended up making wooden boxes for them instead. When I got my new ones, I expected they'd already be in at least a decent plastic case. After all, my cheapo dial test indicator had one, as did every dial indicator I've ever bought (5), as well as my micrometers.

No such luck. All came in cardboard boxes with plastic inserts to keep the DI from bouncing around. The boxes frankly seem worse than the foam ones the Chinese DI's came in.

How are DI's supposed to be stored and protected while not in use, if not in a box?

Just curious.

Walt

One sugestion I can make is to pick up a cheap plastic case in the local sporting goods store or even in the local Wal Mart competitor and then use plactic foam to French fit the indicators. All of the good indicators I use at work, Starrett, B&S, Interapid etc all come with storage cases
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Most of the Starrett stuff I have came in cardboard boxes,seems like the leather clad metal cases are extra.They suck anyways so nothing lost.Mito comes in a fitted plastic/foam case thats not much better,but at least they don't sweat.Check your local mom and pop jewelry store for some fabric lined tin boxes,then fom fit some closed cell foam.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

DancingBear and wierdscience --

I'd be a bit nervous about foam plastics. Years ago someone at the plant where I work lined several wooden precision tool cases with a black closed-cell foam that broke down chemically; the portions of the tools contacting the foam were both oxidized and deeply pitted, with perhaps a 1/4 inch halo of corrosion around the foam-contact areas. (The finish on the wood in contact with the foam was also chemically attacked.)

I don't know what kind of foam plastic that was -- by the time I saw it, it looked like a crumbled wet suit material (Neoprene??) -- but it was vicious.

John

Comment

We get black/grey uro foam at work,it stands up to gasoline never had any problems,but I should have also mentioned there is still nothing that beats good old fashioned wood.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
          X