Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porta power thread sizes and cutting threads with inserts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porta power thread sizes and cutting threads with inserts?

I am still building my hydraulic press using a Porta Power cylinder. It will look some like this:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...8&fr=yfp-t-901

I ordered a cylinder from a (Chinese Import) Porta Power and it arrived today. As someone mentioned in my earlier thread, the threads are not 2.25" 14 tpi like the porto power ones. I don't have metric thread gauges to measure them.

I want to thread the top plate (about .750" thick) to hold this cylinder. The threads on the new import cylinder measure about 2.195" for the outside dimension and the threads per inch are about 13, but not exactly. They must be some metric thread. Anyone have ideas what this could be?

How will I thread this on my South Bend 10K lathe? I have some 3R and 3L inserts but no holder, yet, anyway. Looking at holders and the inserts chart in the Enco catalog, each insert has different possible thread pitches for inside and outside threading. Why is that? I may have to get a 2 holder and matching inserts for this fine of a thread. There are right and left handed holders and inserts. How do I figure out which ones I need?

Thanks to all the guru's for your help--Mike.

Internal and external threading tool holders are different, so are the inserts. Even if you have the metric thread cutting insert for the thread size you want you won't be able to cut the metric thread unless your lathe can cut metric. There are some cheat methods I've heard about, perhaps some one can explain it to you better than I can. Some inserts are general thread cutting and will cut a wide range of threads but won't top the thread off. I almost always use a full profile insert when I can.

JL..................

Comment

M56X2.0 ? That is close to Your measurements.

I would use HSS for threading, simply because I've never cut internal threads with carbide.

Steve

Comment

Yup, M56 x 2, pretty commonly used in hydraulic thingies.
        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
          Yup, M56 x 2, pretty commonly used in hydraulic thingies.
          But...the only way to be absolutely sure is to measure it yourself. Go buy a metric pitch gauge--you can never have too many tools...
          Keith

Comment

When I got home I got my digital caliper and measured the diameter and it was just a shade under 56 mm. The width of one thread appears to be 2 mm. That More or less confirms what some of our HSM friends have suggested.

I don't have a very good way to try to thread that plate at 56 mm. Maybe I can find a nut and weld it to the plate. Anyone know a source?

Comment

Yes by all means get, steal, or borrow a metric thread pitch gauge first just to confirm you actually do have M56x2 threads.

But yes I too think you have that thread as it is popular in hydraulics.
              Not sure if you have an Enerpac dealer near you, but I do know that Enerpac also uses this thread pitch on some of their Porta Power type products so a this may be a source for what you need.

http://www.enerpac.com/en-us/products
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

If you can't find a nut to weld, then thread one on a lathe
                Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Screwcut piece of ~ 20mm dia steel with a 2mm pitch and use that as a thread gauge.
                  "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

From memory a spark plug is usually m14 x 2, check first though
                    Mark

Comment

One of my friends has a metric thread gauge-- I'm going to borrow that.

However I don't think I can thread 56 mm 2 pitch on my south bend lathe. Metric Number 2 pitch equates to 12.7 threads per inch!

When I measure the thread and Fastenal opens, I will give them a call.

I can't use enerpac parts --they don't fit--as their cylinders are 2.25" by 14 tpi, an imperial thread, and even if they fit, they cost about $110 for the threaded plate that could be used to solve my problem.

Comment

One of my friends has a metric thread gauge-- I'm going to borrow that.

However I don't think I can thread 56 mm 2 pitch on my south bend lathe. Metric Number 2 pitch equates to 12.7 threads per inch!

When I measure the thread and Fastenal opens, I will give them a call.

I can't use enerpac parts --they don't fit--as their cylinders are 2.25" by 14 tpi, an imperial thread, and even if they fit, they cost about $110 for the threaded plate that could be used to solve my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mikem View Post

Did you look at the link I left and follow your nose down to this page and find the M56x2 retainer nut?

If you look closer at other pages and pdf files on the Enerpac site you will find lots of accessories in the M56x2 thread size.

Comment

Your location says central USA. If you live in in a big city you could drive down to the harbor feight and buy a 6 dollar metric tap and die set .It will have a bareley usable thread pitch gage. Edwin
                            Edit never mind ,I just checked and the courcest metric pitch on the pitch gage is 1.75 mm.But metric is here to stay so it might be a good idea to get this set anyway .I mostly use these cheap sets for screw checking and cleaning out banged up threads ,but if you are in a pinch and are very careful you can actually tap a hole and cut a thread with this set. Edwin
                            Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                              From memory a spark plug is usually m14 x 2, check first though
                              Mark
                              Actually they are 14mmx1.25.

Comment

Working...
                              X