Cheap super glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap super glue

Has anyone else noticed that the cheaper the super glue the better it works?Today I had a pack of 10 carbide inserts that were the right shape,but to thick to fit the tool.

I took some cheap(8 tubes for $2)super glue and glued them down to a piece of ground tool steel,then surfaced the inserts down in our small rotary surface grinder at work.Took about .025" off the thickness with a diamond wheel running coolant.Actually took a small brass punch and a good tap to break the inserts loose after grinding.

On the flip side I have had the $5/tube made to bond metal super glue not work at all.Maybe the Chinese still make the good stuff?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Perhaps but they sure haven't perfected making rubber parts yet.

Comment

hmmmm. If you're buying CA in tubes, you're lucky to get any of them to work Buy some StarBond or other quality CA and you won't need to worry about whether or not it works.

Comment

I noticed the low viscosity works better than the gel, the locktite gell takes ages to set, i also noticed a drip of low viscosity on polyester socks releases sock smoke and burns your foot!
        Mark

Comment

Good info Darin. Might be the inexpensive stuff doesn't have all the gel and additives in it. Just the good stuff, Cyanoacrylate... I know it works well on finger slices JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
            . . .releases sock smoke. . .
            Try wool. Even better!

Comment

Just luck of the random batch would be my guess.

Comment

Random is right. I have had it go both ways. I buy it from a local hobby shop that moves a lot of it and it's very consistent in quality.
                Gene

Comment

Years ago when I played with RC airplanes, you could buy a accelerator that you sprayed onto the CA glue to make it set almost instantly. Some sort of catalyst. I don't know what it is composed of.

Comment

As a long time user of "super Glue" (cyanoacrylate) I can give you two excellent tricks. (1) The catalyst to set off a cyanoacrylate reaction is moisture. To keep your glue from hardening over time, store it in a screw-top jelly jar with some silica gel which is a desiccant (absorbs moisture). Silica gel is cheap and can be renewed by placing the moisture laden silica gel package in the oven at slightly higher than 212 degrees to evaporate and drive out the moisture. (2) If using the thin (water-like) cyanoacrylate, you can apply the glue more accurately using the needle from a hypodermic syringe. These needles just pull off the syringe and usually will fit the glue bottle. I cut off the sharp end with a Dremel abrasive cut-off wheel. The needles tend to stay clog free while using but will clog when left for some time. Just hold the needle tip over a butane cigarette lighter flame for a second and the needle tip will be unclogged! Planeman

Comment

I sometimes make pens writing pens that is on the wood lathe , I have a small Jet lathe I use just for this and nothing else anyway I bought some expensive super glue,it worked ok, but it has a very very poor shelf life. I had to chuck out about eleven bottles which had gone solid in a few months also had to do the same with gorrila glue I would never buy that again either went like concrete in a short time once opened it is fit for the dustbin if not used almost right away.I buy five minute epoxy always in small batches nowadays for pen making..I have never had any good experiences with super glue that comes in tubes basically it does not do what it says on the tube super crap IMHO Have fun LOL . Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Keep superglue in the freezer, it works well
                        Mark

Comment

The best tip is to store super glue with the cap point UP. That way the glue drains down and does not seep out between the crack between the cap and the tube or between the cap and the cover. It will last many months that way because the glue itself is not in contact with the outside (moist?) air. I have used one tube for over a year for many applications when I store it this way. Old, Rx medicine bottles make an excellent way to do this. And you can use the cap to keep even more moist air away.

The unopened tubes can generally be stored in any orientation as they are well sealed. But it does not to store them vertical too.
                          Paul A.

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

The best (and cheapest) CA glue I have found comes from double-glazing shops. You get it in little bottles the size of small loctite bottles and it's quite slow setting but very strong.
                            Alistair my Gorilla Glue pot is 2 years old and still perfect. I don't do anything special to keep it just wipe the nozzle. I don't know why you are having problems with yours going off, unless it's got damp since that glue is moisture-actvated.
                            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

NO it is certainly not damp Peter .Also I have heat in the workshop all day 24 7 it seems when you open them you are doomed my old pal had the same trouble and over here ,in the UK they aint cheap to buy.I have thrown many including unopened.It is true that I don't use them often. oh well have fun Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X