I just scored a new cutter....it needs inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just scored a new cutter....it needs inserts

I rescued a cutter from the scrap barrel. It has no inserts and I am trying to figure out what it takes.
    It is a valentine metal master

Vrt mfs 203 r8
    11/61910/4

Anybody got any idea?

Looks like this: (except the last digit is 4 instead of 5)

Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

... nm
      Last edited by iMisspell; 03-09-2014, 07:50 AM.
      ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
      http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
      https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

I know nothing about the cutter, but some 4:30 AM can't-sleep playing-around-with-search-engines came up with this:

Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3011162...ectorid=229466

same family w insert in place

I was going to say, "round?" but that EBay photo looks like the insert is "upside down", I was under the impression, the top of a round insert was a slightly larger diameter than the bottom, still round but ...and the angle looks pretty severe (but possible I guess)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kennametal-R...item233219b6b4
          Last edited by RussZHC; 03-09-2014, 08:31 AM.

Comment

The inserts are round, it does look like the ebay photo, I'm not sure those are inserts on that one, I think those are backers?
            I don't have a dime in this thing right now and I'm not sure its ever been used.

Thanks for the effort guys!

Comment

The first eBay link from RussZ with the cutter body has the correct insert on it. They are a round truncated cone shape. I don't know the number though.
              Kansas City area

Comment

Here's some new cutters. They look expensive. That is an interesting cutter configuration - the reversed cones are the actual cutter, not a backer. The tool is a fly cutter.

Comment

I once used a cutter like in winchmans post. Had it at a place I worked. Boss was impressed enough with it to purchase the damn thing. Never could figure how to get a good finish out of it. It mostly sat in the tooling rack. Boss didn't even know it was not being used. He thought the inserts were wonderful as we didn't order replacements. I finally told him no replacements cause were weren't using the worthless thing.
                  I can't say the tool was no good, just that I couldn't get decent finishes from it. And no time to find out why. Shop made cutters gave better performance and did most the work there. Those were lathe tool holders (Triangle inserts) machined and welded at 45 degrees to each other then to a straight shank. Those monsters could eat .400" doc and leave a beautiful finish. Hard on the spindle bearings when the deep cuts were made. But when the shop wants production, they got it!
                  Last edited by krutch; 03-09-2014, 02:56 PM.
                  Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Thanks dp, looks like those are the ones, it sure doesn't look like it would be worth a darn but I'll try it out.... It might just go from one scrap barrel to another!

Comment

I dug around a bit and found 4 boxes of inserts, I got them too. Pretty good deal I'd say. Still haven't cut a chip.

Comment

The swoopy lines make it look like something George Jetson would use to cut sprokets.

Comment

If you can't make chips with it, use it as a doorknob.
                          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

So, what does the label on the boxes say?

Comment

Have you tried this cutter out yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X