De Dion engine - update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De Dion engine - update

Got the muff casting from the foundry this week so I thought I'd better do a bit.
    Set the crankcases up on the CNC mill by sandwiching them between two angle plates. Had to use the CNC in manual mode as they were just a tad to high to fit on the Bridgy.
    Faced the top to clean up as I had to plug the existing barrel stud holes and also weld a 3/8" thick piece of alloy onto the cases to take the side studs. I then bored the mouth out to take the Liberty barrel.

Next two shots show the machined muff fitted to the crankcase and the last shot shows the whole lot assembled.

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 04-30-2004).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Ya need me to bend a tube motorcycle frame up for that puppy?

Ha..

David

Comment

Nar,
      It's going into a 1909 Peugeot car,
      might need you to help crank it over though.
      It's going to finish up as a 2 litre one lunger.
      Next job is the crank, just had two disks profiled at 13" diameter by 1 3/4" thick,
      That should make the Myford grunt

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Wow! I thought I was looking at the engine I did about 10yrs ago. It was for a 1901 Buick (Replica). The mounting ears are different though. It sat horizontal with the cylinder to the rear. (Similar to 1903 Ford)

Nice going John!

What purpose does that piece serve? (Muff? - That means something entirely different to me.)

Comment

Ken,
          The muff casting is to convert the top of the crankcases which are 4 stud to take the liberty barrel which is 10 stud.
          Also the crancase can be bored out to take the larger barrel register but not all the way down hence the conversion piece.
          The register on the bottom of the barrel goes thru the muff and into the crankcase but only by 1/2", just enough to register.

BTW, muff also has a double meaning here as well. The true meaning is a fur lined hand warmer, open at both ends. Unofficially it's also been adopted as meaning any metal connecting piece resembling this.
          Some adaptor pieces here to join two shafts together with either clamps or keyed holes are often refered to as muff couplings.
          The slang meaning here is the same one as you know
          Makes for an interesting conversation in mixed company

John S.

[Edit]

Just gotthis from the online dictionary:-
          muff

\Muff\ (m[u^]f), n. [Cf. LG. muff, D. mof, G., Dan., & Sw. muff, F. moufle mitten, LL. muffula, MHG. mouwe sleeve, D. mouw, and E. muffle, v.] 1. A soft cover of cylindrical form, usually of fur, worn by women to shield the hands from cold.

2. (Mech.) A short hollow cylinder surrounding an object, as a pipe.

3. (Glass Manuf.) A blown cylinder of glass which is afterward flattened out to make a sheet.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 05-01-2004).]

Comment

A two liter one lunger... man, I'd love to hear that puppy run! Looks as if things are coming along nicely.

Comment

You have some neat toys John.

Comment

John,

I do hope when you are finished with this project that you will take the time to take a picture or two of the final result. I gather from your previous comments that the gentleman you are making this for intends to race the beast?

muff > muffler > hauberk > A tunic of chain mail worn as defensive armor in the 12th to 14th centuries.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 05-02-2004).]
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

John
                  Does adding the muff between cylinder and crankcase increase the length of the stroke, and if so how will it be coped with.??? Is there room in the crankcase for a longer stroke crank?? Or is this cylinder shorter than the original but of larger bore diameter???
                  Also is that the floor of your shop?? if so I like it, looks like mine.

------------------
                  Paul G.
                  Paul G.

Comment

2.0L single cylinder,sounds like my old Fairbanks engine,probibly wieghs less though

Speaking of which,just what does that beast wiegh all fleshed out?
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Paul, The muff doesn't do anthing for the stroke. Stroke is determined by the original flywheels at 5" but because we now have a longer barrel I am making a new set of flywheels up with a 6 1/4" stroke and a longer con rod to match.
                      Flywheels have been profiled out of some 1 3/4" thick plate and will be started later next week, all being well.
                      The original cylinder was quite squat and was a side valve layout, this one was originally OHC but to fit correctly it will be changed to pushrod operated OHV.
                      Incidently that's not my floor, it's a low shelf

Weird, Not sure on weight, I can drop it on the scales but it will have to be with the old crank.

John S.

Comment

Just to add another meaning to the pile, while doing all that work on an unreplaceable part, don't muff the job...........

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Technically then, that's NOT a muff. (It doesn't surround the cylinder.) That's what we fixers call an Adapter.

Finally found the "Quad" engine pic:

Comment

Nice pic Ken,
                            What amazes me with this engine is the size of it for it's era.
                            Most things were real skimpy like in Kens picture but his thng is a total brute. I'll get a pic of the original crank later and post it.

The guy who owns this came round yesterday to collect another job and he was getting me a genuine Liberty piston from the US but then found out they were all cast iron ones and he doesn't want a CI one so they sourced one out of a Scania truck that would have to be reworked.

This struck a chord and a quick delve around in the back of the van found a brand spanking new [ less rings ]130mm piston off a Hercules diesel. This is only 3mm up on the original bore.
                            So I need to clean the barrel up and see what the bore is like and then make a decision on whether to rebore to fit the piston or skim the piston down to fit the bore.
                            Rings aren't a problem as GKN have a facility at Chesterfield, about 25 miles away that make all sorts of liners and rings.

John S.

Comment

Working...
                            X